Thursday 14 April 2011

Thursday 14/04/2011 - Bathampton AA Over 55's And Disabled - Bridge Pool

I have been looking at laptop blinking cursor for a long time, trying to decide what to write and also be diplomatic. If I wait any longer I will be out of my forty five minute time limit I have set for each of my blog entries, so here goes.

There are current issues with the fishing (note I say fishing not water quality) at Bridge Pool but I don’t think they are as serious as many anglers were purporting today. My opinion is that the club might be better advised to focus more on the fishing and refrain from the lake chemistry and leave well alone to mother nature. I think the fishing has gradually deteriorated since December 2010.

After a breakfast at the Longwell Green ASDA with Bob Warren it was off for a draw. With a few regulars down at Stafford Moor and a few stay-a-ways because they were worried they might blank, we still mustered 24. We decided to leave the top pegs out as there were less signs of fish in that area. I think this proved the right decision for once. I drew peg 13 for the first time ever. Historically pegs 13 and 12 haven’t been pegged. Because I had fair warning that the fishing was going to be hard I took plenty of different baits in case I had to while away the day, which necessitated plenty of rigs. I haven’t bothered to record them as I only caught on three of them and very little of each. I caught 2lb at full depth on single maggot over Skimmer GB at 6 metres (you can’t get the fish to feed on or near the bottom for very long at present). I had 1lb shallow – two foot deep with single maggot over loose fed caster. Finally I had 1lb in the LH margin with single maggot over loose fed hemp. My total weight was 4lb 2oz which gave me second in the Silvers by default – still an enjoyable day.

The match was won by Geoff Stones (pictured right receiving his wedge from organiser and Silvers winner Mike Jones) with one 12lb Carp from peg 21. The frame was made up with who had the biggest Carp.

The Silvers was won by Mike Jones with 10lb 10oz (pictured right with his catch - nothing wrong with these Skimmers) from peg 14. Mike caught the majority of his fish shallow with caster hook bait over loose fed caster. Mike even had a few Skimmers in the mouth!

Full Result:

1. Geoff Stones 12-10-0 peg 21
2. Chris Rolfe 10-11-0 peg 5
3. Mike Jones 10-10-0 peg 14
4. Dave Gillard 9-02-0 peg 29
5. Bob Warren 6-08-0 peg 18
6. John Smith 6-02-0 peg 9

Top Silvers:

1. Mike Jones 10-10-0 peg 14
2. John Smith 6-02-0 peg 9
3. Chris Rolfe 4-05-0 peg 5
4. Mike Nicholls 4-02-0 peg 13

4 comments:

tony rixon,s days out said...

so the silvers ace was well and truly battered off the next peg by an old style silvers angler (i,m sure mr jones dyes his hair).
perhaps you need to develop a floating skimmer gb mix as the fish dont seem to like the lake bed at the moment

Mike Jones said...

Hi Tony, its my own hair, not synthetic and the correct colour!
Last time I saw you, you were still in short trousers, Too many years ago to contemplate.
If my memory serves me right, you must be getting near the magic 55 when you can come to play with the big boys. I'll reserve a place for you.

tony rixon,s days out said...

only 4 years to go but due to the fact our government screwed the pensions up i will have to work on thursdays so you will be able to carry on in relative safety

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Peter Pan

I suppose we better stand down Colin Golding who we had penciled in to carry Tony's tackle to the disabled swims.