Friday 14 January 2011

Thursday 13/01/2011 - Bathampton AA Over 55's And Disabled Christmas Match - Bridge Pool

Today was the rearranged Coffin Dodgers Christmas Match to be fished on Bridge Pool and it was time for the annual group photo (see picture below centre - can you put a name to face and weight?). There were a few anglers not in the picture through deafness, shyness or having a pee.


After continued persistent light rain for the previous twenty hours and heavier rain forecast for match day it was a pleasant surprise to find the temperature climbing to a massive 15 degrees and the rain holding off until the presentation – when it poured.

In to the draw box and out comes peg 26. Very happy with this one as it has both Carp and more importantly Silvers form. Once again I had Steve Jefferies for company on peg 25 which thankfully put him down wind – no smoking today for me!

I set up my usual 4x 16 jolly rigs one with 0.1 bottom and the other 0.14, plus a Ronnie rig. I plumbed up to the bottom of the inside shelf which was a mere 5 metres out where I fed two tangerine balls of GB laced with Pinkies. With double Pinkie on the 0.1 rig I started well catching Skimmers to 8oz, unfortunately this lasted only half an hour when the swim went iffy, minute bites and fish pulling off. I think this is due to either predators in the swim or more likely Carp. I decided to re-feed and try the Ronnie line where I had been loose feeding red maggot. I kept a few Ronnie coming but they were very small and very difficult to hook, missing loads of bites. I kept trying Pinkie and maggot over the GB but it was too slow. With half hour left of the match I decided to try for a Carp over the GB line using soft 4mm expander pellet. Well what a stepped change as I started to catch Skimmer to 1lb every put in – but no Carp. I must have doubled my weight in this short period. I didn’t want the match to finish. The dilemma now is – “was it the change of bait or did the Skimmers switch back on” – who knows, as it will all be different next time out. I weighed 12lb 4oz for second in the Silvers and 5th overall which gave me a pools pickup and a case of Old Speckled Hen beer and a tin of chocolates.

Everyone that fished got a prize.

The match was won by Ian Sheppard (pictured right) with 49lb 14oz from peg 11. Ian caught at 7 metres using 3lb hook length with a 20 hook carrying a single red maggot. Ian fed 3 small pots of red maggot throughout the match. Ian’s catch consisted of five Carp backed up with a good net of Silvers.

The Silvers was won by Rich Coles (pictured right which this superb net of Silvers) from peg 21 with 19lb 8oz which included an unseasonable 4lb Tench. Rich caught on both maggot and soft 4mm pellet.

The Bathampton AA Secretary Dave Crookes was in attendance today to present Colin Golding with a new set of waterproofs and rod holdall on his retirement as match organiser of the BAA Over 55’and Dave also recognised Colin as a true legend of the South West match scene over nearly sixty years. Unfortunately due to the poor conditions I didn't get a photo.

Full Result:

1. Ian Sheppard 49-14-0 peg 11
2. Rich Coles 19-08-0 peg 21
3. Paul Haines 17-0-0 peg 18
3 Andy Shields 17- 0-0 peg 10
5. Mike Nicholls 12-04-0 peg 26
6. Pete Powe 11-08-0 peg 30
7. Mike Jones 8-01-0 peg 29
8. Chris Snow 7-12-0 peg 23
8. Terry Bruton 7-12-0 peg 8
10. Dave Bacon 6-03-0 peg 28
11. Bill Ferris 4-08-0 peg 6
12. John Wilde 4-05-0 peg 19
13. Chris Rolfe 4-0-0 peg 32
14. Steve Jefferies 3-09-0 peg 25
15. Bob Warren 3-08-0 peg 5
16. Alan Jones 3-07-0 peg 17
17. Terry Church 2-13-0 peg 15
18. Dave Gillard 2-02-0 peg 7
19. Ray Bazeley 1-13-0 peg 4
20. Martin Alexander 1-04-0 peg
21. Harry Muir 0-12-0 peg 3
21. Colin Golding 0-12-0 peg 2
23. Pete Phillips 0-04-0 peg 32
24. Bob Price DNW peg 14 (lost 2 Carp)

Top Silvers:

1. Rich Coles 19-08-0 peg 21
2. Mike Nicholls 12-04-0 peg 26
3. Pete Powe 11-08-0 peg 30

2 comments:

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Mike,

No problems with you publishing my comments, It was nice to see my efforts in print. I did try to add as much to the comments on the webb site but was not sure if i had managed to do it correctly. Regarding my fishing the over 55's matches. I am 58 so meet the age requirement, but work gets in the way of regular weekday fishing at the moment, would it be ok to fish occasional matches? Also although I've fished since my teens I've never fished a match, so I would need some help with match etiquette. After reading your match reports I am sure that a novice would be pointed in the right direction.

Regards
Steve

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Steve
I am sure you will be very welcome at any time you want to fish by organser Mike Jones. Currently you don't need to book in - just turn up and present yourself to Mike. Look forward to meeting you. But I am guessing you won't need too much help!!