Sunday 16 January 2011

Sunday 16/01/2011 - Viaduct Teams Of Five Winter League - All Lakes

Today was the first round of the Viaduct Winter League Teams of Five. It was a good turn out, with 85 fishing comprising 17. Our team was cobbled together by Steve Long and Paul Greenwood, consisting of myself, Bela Bakos, Tom Mangnel, Phil "Fabio" Harding and Steve Skelton and they named the team "Silverfox TM" (TM not being Trade Mark but Tom Mangnel "cheesy grin" team Captain). Well, Tom did a brilliant job drawing the team a flyer to start the league off on the right foot. Bela couldn’t believe his luck as he was back on peg 15 where he framed last week. I was put on Campbell 118. However, I was hoping to leave this Lake to last as I think the Tench might start to show in numbers by then. Apparently 118 is a reasonable Silvers peg – that will do me then. For company I had Avon Anglings Tim Clark on peg 119. I was amazed it wasn’t Tony Rixon as he has been drawing corner pegs all Ice Age.

With the wind being fairly strong blowing up the Lake and slightly off my left shoulder it was reasonable for presenting the waggler which I had pre-set up. There was a fair tow on which was easily to pick up and trip through. I set up the pole to be fished at 13 metres but reduced this down to 11.5 metres once I felt the full force of the wind. I set up one 4 x 16 Jolly rig which with a 4 inch adjustment was suitable for both at 11 o clock and 2 o clock. I also set up a margin rig for up to the brambles to my left (on Steve Long’s advice as he thought it might be worth a few small Carp). I started by cupping in two tangerine balls of GB laced with a few casters and Pinkies at 11 0 c lock and a pot of casters in at 2 o clock. I started on the waggler with double dead red fished over loose fed casters. I had a small Ronnie first cast followed by another three, so swapped to double caster with similar results - small Ronnie’s. I decided it was time to try the GB line with double dead red and had a 1 ½ Skimmer first run through (the tow was very strong against the wind). A few small Ronnie’s then followed with the odd small Skimmer. Over to the caster line with double caster which resulted in another 1 ½ lb Skimmer followed by once again small Ronnie’s. I could see Ray Hayward opposite on peg 123 struggling. So after two hours I decided to set up a Ronnie rig and focus on them, as it seemed that where ever and what ever I had on the hook I caught a Ronnie. In the hour I fished for them with single caster I had about 3lb. With two hours to go unfortunately I noticed Carp rising in the bramble margin, making it decision time as to go for Carp or keep with the Ronnie’s. It was Tim Clark (see video at bottom catching one of his 15 Carp) who had been catching small Carp regularly from his end margin that swayed me to switch to the margin. This was a big mistake because for the remaining 2 hours I added just one 2lb Carp, foul hooking two others on caster over kinder potted caster. I wish I had stuck to the Ronnie’s as I believe I could have just crept in to the Silvers frame (another degree in hindsight). I weighed 11lb 9oz which added 10 points to the team score (I think).

With Bela winning his Lake, Tom coming 2nd, Fabio 3rd and Steve also gaining 10 pts we were anticipating a team top five placing. I think we were amazed when it was announced that we were first overall by a clear five points. I don't think it will go to our heads.

The match was won by Jason Radford (pictured right) from peg 3 on Spring with 8 Carp which weighed in at 82lb. Jason caught on the lead fishing hair rigged four pieces of 10mm punched bread to 16 hook and 0.16 hook length.

The Silvers was won by Chris Davis (pictured right) from peg 40 on Match Lake with 25lb 4oz. Chris fished waggler and maggot over loose fed caster. Match Lake really fished well – Steve put this down to the water warming quicker than the other Lakes as it is one of his shallowest.

Full Result:
1. Jason Radford 82-0-0 peg 3
2. John Gray 78-02-0 peg 132
3. Will Bohnie 54-0-0 peg 113
4. John Howell 45-10-0 peg 53
5. Chris Davis 43-12-0 peg 40
6. Alan Oram 35-03-0 peg 110

Silvers:
1. Chris Davis 24-04-0 peg 40
2. Tony Rixon 16-05-0 peg 88
3. Jamie Parkhouse 14-04-0 peg 39
4. Nick Collins 14-02-0 peg 102
5. Steve Kedge 13-09-0 peg 52

Top Teams on day:
1. Silverfox TM 68pts
2. Somerset Angling 62 pts
2. Avon Angling 62

1 comment:

tony rixon,s days out said...

if they need any extras for a remake of lord of the rings they wont have to look much further than jason looking at his photo he would make a good long lost twin for gollum