Thursday 4 November 2010

Thursday 04/11/2010 - Bathampton Over 55's - Bridge Pool

The talk before the match was whether the Coffin Dodgers could get through the electrically timed gates before they closed at 16:30, because the match was planned to finish at 15:15. Well we only just made it with 10 minutes to spare. Bathampton AA 17:00 would be a much better closing time – remember we are old, decrepit and disabled!

What a plonker, I put the camera battery on charge last night and forgot to put it back in the camera. I found this out when I wanted to take a picture of Andrew Shields new lake record Perch of 1lb 11oz. However, Ian Sheppard came to the rescue with his phone camera. So pictured right is Andy with his Perch (Andy is the one in glasses). Terry Burton’s record Perch of 1lb 9oz lasting just one week!!

Everyone is amazed how mild the weather is with 13 degrees at 08:00 this morning. Mike Jones was collecting the dosh for the Coffin Dodgers Xmas match today – it looks like a sell out so book early with your £15.

In to Colin's smelly bait tray and out comes peg 16. It’s a great peg on its day for both Carp and Silvers. Arriving at the peg I noticed that the water was very clear, so the margins for me was a no go zone. I set a 4x16 Jolly to be fished at full depth at 5 metres for the Silvers (Skimmers) and a 0.4 gram corn float to be fished short off the opposite island in three foot of water for the Carp. I started by feeding the corn swim with some micro and corn followed up with four tangerine sized balls of GB at 5 metres. Starting at 5 metres with single maggot and I was soon catching Skimmers from 2oz to 6oz. But it wasn’t long before the tell-tell bubbles of Carp swimming through were evident, however, as the Carp weren’t really feeding I was soon back catching Skimmers with the occasional Ronnie. After it slowed I re-fed with the same amount of GB and went over with the Carp set up, kinder potting in some of the same feed. First put in I missed a bite, then latched in to my first and last Carp which weighed in at 15lb 8oz. I did try a few more times for another Carp by to no avail. I did keep a few Skimmers coming on the 5 metre line and to my amzement not foul hooking any Carp over this line. My Silvers weighed in at 12lb 2oz for a total of 27lb 10oz which put me second overall and the second in the Silvers.

The match was won by Colin Golding (pictured right) from un-fancied peg 5 with 31lb 4oz.- he's still got it. Colin caught three Carp on his usual plop – plop method. There was some discussion between Colin and Bob Price as to who owned the float and elastic that was attached to one of Colin’s’ Carp. Come on Colin let Bob have his new float back – you can keep the elastic, I am sure you will make use of it!!

The Silvers was won by Chris Snow (pictured right) with 15lb 13oz from peg 26. Chris fished at 5 metres with maggot, pellet and caster for a mainly Skimmer catch.

Full Result:
1. Colin Golding 31-4-0 peg 5

2. Mike Nicholls 27-10-0 peg 16
3. Rich Coles 27-03-0 peg 8
4. Ian Sheppard 20-08-0 peg 11
5. Chris Rolfe 17-13-0 peg 31
6. Chris Snow 15-13-0 peg 26

Top Silvers:

1. Chris Snow 15-13-0 peg 26
2. Mike Nicholls 12-02-0 peg 16
3. Chris Rolfe 11-04-0 peg 31 (plus one Skimmer left in his net – plonker)
4. Mike Jones peg 23 & Terry Bruton peg 24 both 10-08-0

2 comments:

Mike Jones said...

Talking of plonkers,rumour has it that a certain Mr silverfox returned home after a match and found a 1lb skimmer in his net!!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

This is true. I caught one Carp and accidently put a 1lb Skimmer in with it with a promise to take it out at the weigh in. Unfortunately I forgot about it as I lifted the Carp out rather than tipping. I was really upset about this fish dying in my net that I gave it a decent burial in the garden. This was the match http://silverfoxangling.blogspot.com/2008/07/carps-ac-three-day-festival-4th-5th-and.html

PLUNKER