Monday 29 November 2010

Sunday 28/11/2010 - Carps AC Autumn Silvers League - Viaduct Fishery - Final Round Six

The day started well enough all though it was bloody freezing. With Bela arriving dead on time as usual. In the two years we have been travelling together Bela has only arrived late once – by 1 minute! Things started to go bad once we made the decision to try Shipham cafĂ© again – enough said.

Somewhere between Glastonbury and Somerton a Black Cat decided to commit suicide under Bela’s van. The Cat got both front and back wheels. I am a bit superstitious (under statement) I said straight away that we might as well turn round and go home – no way was I going to do any good after that. However, I was a bit concerned about the feline population of Somerset because if we both picked up coin then Bela would be looking to flatten a Cat every week.

On quick inspection both Campbell and Carey lakes were partly frozen it was particularly bad at the Carp Park ends. So need to draw well away from this end then. Bela had a brilliant draw peg 124 with 123 not being in. The peg was ice free in so far as he could fish a waggler to the middle. Me, well I drew my nightmare peg 110 on Campbell. It’s furthest peg from ice free water. Steve Long promised me it would me clear by 11 o clock – NOT. A good test to determine ice thickness is to feed some casters and see if the Mallards can skate on it (see top picture right). I tried cup tapping to break the ice but it was too thick for that and had to employ my ice breaker. I cleared the inside down to the stump and two swims at 12 metres (length of my breaker rope) about 2 metres a part. I then lent it to my neighbour Steve Jackson on peg 111. I only set up one rig a 4 x12 Jolly which could be used in both long swims with a 2 inch adjustment. I didn’t bother to set up one for the margin as it was already starting to refreeze. The left hand swim was for dry GB and Pinkie and the other for caster. From the start I had problems with the ice as the air temperature was well below freezing and both swims were quickly re-freezing. Which necessitated Steve and I to keep clearing ice every hour or so throughout the match. Not conducive for catching fish I think. The picture right shows my top set and how it had froze in the air. At one time Steve and I were getting false bites because the ice had built up on our back shots. I was right even though I did anticipate catching a fish in the dying minutes the whole section blanked. One fish would have put me on 8 points and joint first overall in the league. I wasn’t to be – and that’s fishing and why we keep coming back. All the fish on Campbell were caught in the top pegs on waggler. It was a similar story on Carey. Bela was explaining on the way home how he was shaking off little nuisance Ronnie’s, should have fished for them matey. Bela was a bit miffed that I picked up £14 - my share of the section - the Cats were bloody lucky as Bela was one out of a pick up too!!

The match was won by Nick Collins (pictured right) on peg 118 with 6lb 7oz. Nick caught one of each species Tench, Perch, Hybrid, Skimmer and a Roach. Nick caught on the waggler fishing either Pinkie or red maggot on the hook feeding about 30 caster throughout the match.

The league was won by Steve Long (pictured lower right) with 8 points, but only just, piping Marks Broomsgrove on weight. Well done matey, a well dissevered result.

I have a couple of tips for fishing in this bad weather. I purchased a pair of neoprene gloves called ICEBEHR. They really are excellent for pole fishing in these conditions. The other tip was given to my by Nick Collins. As us gentleman know our willies’ are hard to find in extreme cold conditions, particularly under many layers of clothes. Therefore it’s very important not to leave peeing too late. What Nick recommends tying a piece of 6lb Maxima around his bell end and leave the other end hanging out of the top of his zip (no pictures of this one). Nick has tried various line types and advised against using Preston Direct Mono!!

Full Result (on the day):

1. Nick Collins 6-07-0 peg 118
2. John Green 5-08-0 peg
3. Nigel Easton 5-0-0 peg
4. Mark Broomsgrove 4-03-0 peg 119
5. Bela Bakos 3-06-0 peg 124
6. Dick Bull 2-12-0 peg 127

Final league:
1. Steve Long 9 pts 98-13-0

2. Mark Broomsgrove 9 pts 87-09-0
3. Steve Jackson 10 pts 66-09-0
4. John Green 10 pts 60-02-0
5. Nigel Easton 10 pts 57-02-0
6. Nicky Collins 11 pts 61-13-0
7. Mike Nicholls 11 pts 54-13-0
8. Dan (Dude) Squires 11 pts 53-14-0

1 comment:

Silverfox Match Angling said...

E-mail from a blast from the past Alex Leonard:

Mike
I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your blog and that the tips (I am sure there are still a few secrets) are really interesting to read.
I have recently made up a few rigs (I purchase 2 jolly 4 x 12) and a set of kinder pots following your instructions, and am planning a day out on the 10th Dec 10.
I see you are still competing well and catching lost of fish, I have not seen Darren Gillman’s name in the papers or your blog it must be a bad time in the draw bag, as he has the talent.
I may catch you in Oldland (the pub obviously) at some point in the future; it would be good to pick your brains as I can see your decision to focus on the lake matches has paid off.
I am thinking of trying the canal with bread (once it thaws) I should catch a few fish pleasure fishing?
Ps. I look forward to fishing the low cost over 50 matches; I have only got 10 years and 3 months to wait!

Regards

Alex Leonard (Ex Bendix & Power Systems)