Wednesday 19 May 2010

Wednesday 19/05/2010 - Carps AC - Sabre Lake

I really enjoy fishing new venues. A trait I have inherited from Dad and Granddad as they were both always looking for some where new to fish. I think it’s the unknown that does it for me. Fish species, water depth, baits, methods, etc….

Sabre Lake is just after Caln village on the left of the A4. On our arrival we were greeted by the Bailiff Ken Miles. What a nice man and he certainly has a grip of the fishery. Ken had kept the entire left hand bank free for us and made sure no pleasure anglers poached them. On arrival on the bank (after going back to get Colin Golding kit) I was amazed how well kept it was – not a sign of any litter (it looked like a fairway), with the water quality/clarity spot on (see pictures on the right). As it was a low turn out (those that didn’t fish, missed a great match) I spread the pegs along the entire bank. We offered Colin an early draw, but he said he'd take his chances. Guess what he drew the furthest peg. So I gave him peg 6 which was the closest and we all redrew. Amazingly, all except John Bennett drew the same pegs again. I drew peg 2. Other than the end pegs it all looked similar.

I set up about everything, as you do on a new venue. Three whips, one Ronnie rig, two paste rigs and a soft pellet rig. I was hoping to catch some Carp in the margins with paste but it was too shallow at 18 inches, so didn’t really try it out much. To cut a long story short I caught all on my fish on caster on the Ronnie rig and the elasticated 3.5 metre whip fished shallow. I landed two Carp that weighed in at 11lb 8oz (all Carp had to be weighed and returned), I also lost one at the net through the hook pulling free. I had a very memorable days Silver fishing with Ronnie’s to 12oz and Perch to 1lb for a total of 25lb. That added to my Carp weight, I had enough to win the match with 36lb 8oz and a pick up of £30 – but only just!! One of the Carp I landed was hooked on my very last cast on the whip – Dad was looking down on me again.

Both Steve Dawson and Colin Golding (Colin’s catch of Skimmers are shown right with Bailiff Ken and Andy Gard helping Colin hold his net – Colin is also shown holding a 1lb Roach) pushed me close with all Skimmer catches.

Well Ken Miles certainly was very helpful to the extent that he organise a Mobility Scooter for Colin plus carried his tackle back to his car for him!! What service, you don't even get this service on the Houghton club waters on the River Test. I won’t be surprised if Colin bought one for himself – perhaps all the fisheries should have one, similar to Super Markets – be prepared BAA!!

Full Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 36-08- 0 peg 2
2. Steve Dawson 36-0-0 peg 4
3. Colin Golding 35-02-0 peg 6
4. Bill Ferris 18-0-0 peg 5
5. Andy Gard 12-04-0 peg 5
6. John Bennett 11-12-0 peg 6

Top Silvers:

1. Steve Dawson 36-0-0 peg 4 (all Skimmers to 1lb)
2. Colin Golding 29-12-0 peg 6

Finally: I can’t wait to get back there – I am amazed there aren’t more matches on this venue – perhaps there will be in future. One we missed Dad!!

1 comment:

tony rixon,s days out said...

it certainly looks like a good venue with lots of small fish its a shame you have to book it well in advance(befor the amalgamation clubs match calender is printed i think). and i can appreciate your comments on fishing different waters(off to goodiford this w/end)as i am guilty of going to the same places but at least i do rotate around them a bit, unlike the anglers doing well in the angling times county champs with several now with over 100 points(fairplay to them)if you look at the venues they score on it appears they dont travel to far from home does it and they are sticking to waters where they have the methods sorted out(i think even i would find this boring)