Saturday 1 May 2010

Saturday 31/04/2010 - Hillview Open

Son Steve wanted to fish a Saturday match and his chosen venue – Hillview Fishery. Good choice. I was surprised at the turn out, high twenties, so both Moorhen and Heron Lakes were needed. Moorhen had been fishing well with a few ton weights recently, so I was expecting that you would need a ton to frame. I really didn’t mind where I drew, in to the black woolly hat (starting to smell a bit now Keith) and out comes peg 27 on Heron Lake. I was pleased with this draw as it does have a good deep margin ideal for my paste approach. Steve drew peg 10 on Moorhen, again another decent draw for the margin. I set up my paste margin rig, plus a 4x14 Jolly for the soft pellet just up the inside shelf at 5 metres. I also set up a paste rig for the same line at 5 metres. That was it. On the whistle I kinder cupped a few dry micros in on the 5 metres line with a 3mm expander on the hook. I also started to feed the LH margin with dry 4mm pellet with the occasional micro. I started well with a 2lb Skimmer first put in, followed by a three 2lb Carp. I was kinder potting between each fish and at this stage I started to foul hook Carp – too much feed then, so time to reduce. What I did noticed was that because the rules dictated you feed pellet dry (I don’t know why) some of them float for a short while until they take on water and sink, the Carp appeared to be only interested in the ones that floated, witnessed by them scooping them up along the surface. So I quickly set up a shallow rig – TBF taking 4 no 11 shot. This didn’t work as the Carp appeared to be only interested in the pellet that was either on the surface or falling through the water. I quickly set a 3.5 metre whip as I thought this might trick them. First cast with single red maggot I hooked and landed a 4lb Carp – sorted – NOT – the next four casts resulted in four small Ronnie’s. Time to try the LH margin - my banker. First put in resulted in a surprise 3 lb Skimmer – not what I was expecting, but welcome all the same. Out again and a 3lb carp in the net. I then started to get indications followed by the odd bite without connecting. So I adapted my shallow rig and put on a soft pellet which resulted in a foul hooked Ghost Carp which pulled free. Out next time with double maggot and once again Ronnie’s were in evidence (no Silver pool at this venue), so back out at 5 metres, this time I arranged the shotting on my Jolly to fish on the drop and had a run of Carp to 4lb. However, you needed to be very careful of the feeding p[attern, because if you got it wrong foul hookers would result. From my peg I could see more or less everyone and noticed a lot of Skimmers being caught (Skimmers will play when Carp are away), I thought I was doing reasonably well so decide to stay on the 5 metre line until the end. I weighed 13lb of Skimmers and 42lb 12 oz of Carp for an overall weight of 55lb 12oz for first overall and a pick up of £90.

I had a lot of bites that I missed. These weren't your usual swirly, dipping liners, but positive bites. I put this down to the fish taking my number 11 shot mistakingly for the micro pellet feed. I did try a micro on the hook, but that didn't produce anything.

Steve weighed 33lb for third on Moorhen, 2lb out from winning his section. He did point out that he beat Nev off the next peg!

I am not sure how second place Jake Cork caught, but in third spot was Tim Davis (pictured right with the overall winner) on peg 23. Tim caught long at 11.5 metres on soft pellet, but the lucky so in so landed a 10lb foul hooked Ghost Carp from his RH margin for a total of 50lb 1oz.

Both Steve and I thoroughly enjoyed the match, plus it kept dry, even though the BBC promised heavy showers. I am sure we will back again soon.

Full Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 55-12-0 peg 27
2. Jake Cork 54-04-0 peg 3
3. Tim Davis 50-01-0 peg 23
4. Josh Cork 47.05.0 peg 25
5. Terry King 41-06-0 peg 22
6. Francis Porter 39-08-0 peg 16

No comments: