Sunday 7 June 2009

Sunday 07/06/2009 - Bathampton AA Open - Bridge Pool


In a previous blog (Avalon - 15/03/2009) I reported that a 1lb 3oz Dace was caught on the Bathampton waters at Compton Dando. I can now tell you that the angler was Paul Randell. Paul has sent me the attached photograph (right) of the Dace. However, Paul isn’t 100% sure it’s a Dace. I think so. Have a look and let me know what you think.

With overnight heavy rain and a lowly 8 degrees is not the recipe for a good days fishing. I knew this would happen if I bought new Polaroids! I drew peg 28. Last year I won both the Silvers and Carp off this peg on caster. So I set up two caster rigs – one Ronnie and one Ronnie/Skimmer, a margin paste rig and a soft pellet rig for 10 metres over micro pellet. I also set up the shallow waggler (for the second consequative week - am I getting waggleritus?). I started on the Ronnie caster rig and found it very slow so tried the other caster rig, again very slow. A few Carp were coming out – but very few Silvers. I went out at 10 metres on the 6mm soft pellet and started to catch a few 3oz Skimmers. However, I was missing a lot of bites due to my hooker pellets being too soft. I switched to small pieces of paste on the same rig and caught slighty bigger Skimmers (4oz to 12oz), but too slow and frustrating. With 2 and half hours gone I went for a walk. Terry Bruton had six Carp and both Kevin Dicks and Bob Sheppard two Carp each, however, Kevin had caught some big Skimmers. I went back to my peg and made the decision that Carp might be a safer bet to some coin, so picked up the waggler and fished it along the end of the opposite island. I landed six Carp – lost two and suffered a lot of line bites. I weighed 7lb 8oz of Silvers and 48lb 13oz of Carp for a total of 54lb 5oz and third overall and a pick up of £35. On hindsight I think I could have at least finished second in the Silvers. But I didn’t!


The match was won by my good friend Terry Bruton (pictured upper right) with 13 Carp for 79lb 3oz from peg 31. Terry fished the pole at 16 metres to the opposite island with hair rigged 8mm Pellet fished over loose fed 8mm pellet. Terry lost at least 20 carp mostly foul hookers. I bet terry’s back will be hurting tomorrow.

The Silvers was won by Kevin Dicks (pictured bottom right)with 13lb 4oz from peg 4.

Full Result:

1. Terry Bruton 79-03-0 peg 31

2. Kevin Dicks 75-04-0 peg 4
3. Mike Nicholls 54-05-0 peg 28
4. Bob Sheppard 52-07-0 peg 15
5. Stuart O’Toole 25-0-0 peg 24
6. Kevin (Doc) Collins 20-12-0 peg 10

Top Silvers:

1. Kevin Dicks 13-04-0 peg 4
2. Leyton Palmer 10-13-0 peg 30

1 comment:

Chris Fox said...

The anal fin looks to be convex and the mouth seems a bit too big, surely a Chub