Wednesday 23 April 2008

Wednesday 23/04/2008 Carps AC - Cider Farm Sheppard's

It looks as if spring his here at last, 20 degrees yesterday and 17 degrees today. However, the wind is still in the North West. As is common knowledge Mark Gibson (pictured top right) the Fishery owner is in the process of developing a first class match venue, he anticipates his two match lakes Dabinett and Yarlington Mill to be open again in May, after a number of small club matches have been fished on them. He also informs me that he is in the early planning stages of a further expansion of the fishery - possibly three more Lakes with a head of mixed fish - can't wait. Mark makes running matches here very easy: he sorts the best pegs, organises the draw, weighs in and most importantly serves the cider afterwards - try his home made traditional dry. In fact the only thing he doesn't do is catch the fish!

This is the first time Carp AC has used Sheppard's and my first visit too. Some of Carps AC local members had fished it before, the top weight of Silvers so far had been just under 10lb with winning Carp weights up to eighty plus pounds. As I was running the match I asked local Jim Baines to draw for me and he pulled out peg 1! A flyer Carp peg I am told, with three framing weights in the last three matches (so what's different)! I was a little disappointed because as usual I was hoping to target the Silvers. Any way got to the peg and found myself in a sort of leg of the main lake, which was about nine metres wide. So no good for silvers then (I thought). I set up for corn down the middle at 4.5 metre, which gave be about five foot of water out in front. I also set up a paste rig for down the right hand margin in 3 foot of water. I started on the corn and had one 4oz Roach second put in. I could see Dominic Sullivan on peg 9 catching Carp shallow he had three straight off. After a bite less 15 minutes decided to set up a silvers rig to use in combination with single red maggot hook bait. The float was a modified Preston 4x14 PB14 with a cane insert replaced with a nylon bristle and the thin wire stem replaced with a thicker, longer more durable wire (once bent never straight again!). This float is extremely stable in the wind. I immediately started to catch Roach and very small Skimmers. I decided to stay with this for the rest of the match and caught steady with the odd interruption & disruption from Carp. I must say all the fish were in pristine condition.

At the weighed in I had 23lb 8oz of Silvers and five Carp for 23lb 12oz totalling 47lb 4oz. Enough to win the silvers - you think - but not quite Jim Baines (pictured with his catch bottom right and my catch lower right - you will notice Jim had bigger fish than me) weighed 23lb 12 oz from peg 16! So I finished fourth in the match and second in the silvers and a pick up of £20. Well done Jim.

Dominic Sullivan won the match from peg 9 with 89lb 8oz. Dominic caught his fish at 16 metres shallow with hard pellet hook bait.

Only John Bennett knew this but this was a Silversmania Qualifier. So well done again Jim!

Full Result:

1. Dominic Sullivan 89-08-0 peg 9
2. Lewis Jones 69-0-0 peg 10
3. Bob Warren 56-05-0 peg 13 (unlucky for some - first out of the money)
4. Mike Nicholls 47-04-0 peg 1
5. Jim Baines 26-09-0 peg 16
6. Roger Andonio 23-06-0 peg 18

Top Silvers:

1. Jim Baines 23-12-0 peg 16 - Qualifies for Wednesday Silversmania
2. Mike Nicholls 23-08-0 peg 1

No comments: