Thursday 12 June 2014

Wednesday 11/06/2014 - Avon Angling Cost Cutter Open - Landsend Match Lake

After a great family break in Majorca I was persuaded by Glenn Bailey to have another visit to Landsend. Glenn was keen to go as it is Avon Anglings float only league here next Sunday.

As there were only twelve of us fishing (which just about made it a competition) we were all on Match Lake. Not my favourite venue because, unless you can thrash around 16 – 17 metres of pole it can be difficult to compete with Carp. Other than fishing for Silvers the venue is really beyond my capability. The margins on the near bank are so over grown that you are almost fishing full depth with no access to clear away the vegetation and branches. The far bank peg margins are better.

So in to the draw box and out comes peg 3 – near side. Umm, not particularly happy with this with the only hope of coin would be Silvers.

I set up two paste rigs which were almost identical the exception being a foot in depth, one to fish at 10 metres the other down to peg 2 pallet. The third was a 4x14 jolly to fish at 10 metres with semi hard 4’s hookers over potted 4’s.

After putting a pot of hard 4’s down to the pallet and some at 10 metres I started on the Jolly and was getting bites from small Ronnie’s straight away most were falling off. I then had a 2lb Skimmer losing the next two. This was followed by more Ronnie’s. I normally catch a few early Carp on this method but that didn’t happen nor did I get ant fizzing even though I kept topping up the feed. I half heartily tried the paste over the 10 metre line but didn’t even get any small fish nibbling. Back on the pellet and I did finally catch my first Carp a two pounder.

Three hours in to the match and I had a visit from bog runner Tim Ford. Tim by now had had four more visits to the bog than I had Carp.

I always carry a pint of casters and decided to set up the Ronnie rig to see if I could at least get some bites. This resulted in a few small Perch and one lost Carp and another two pound Skimmer. I wasn’t really catching quick enough to make any difference.

I then came over all philosophical. A beautiful summer’s day, birds singing, no traffic noise: “We are all born with nothing and I was so pleased to realise that as a Pensioner I still have most of it left”.

From Bankside chat I knew I was well out of any coin and the thought of packing up passed through my mind. However, I think due to my years fishing matches on the river I just couldn’t do it as, I always try to beat the swim if nothing else. After trying various approaches I decided to stay down on peg 2 pallet even though it meant straining my neck to see round the over growth. In the last 45 minutes I added five Carp and two Skimmers to the net. Perseverance is crucial to match angling – I had gone from wanting to pack up to not wanting the match to end – If only.

My six Skimmers and bits weighed 10b 8oz and my six Carp 24lb 8oz for a not so grand total of 35lb.

Glenn did well sneaking in second beating the local ace into third.

The match was won by Phil Harding (pictured right – glimmer of a smile) with 147lb from peg 15. Phil caught at 16 metres to the far bank using banded hard pellet over lose feed.

The Silvers was won by John Bradford (pictured lower right) with 20lb 8oz from peg 19. John caught at 6 metres using caster over caster, adding one Tench from his margin using the same approach.

The Wednesday match attendances appear to be falling dramatically - worrying me thinks.

Off to Viaduct next week for our annual weeks fishing holiday - can't wait - World Cup and all on.

Full Result:

  1. Phil I Am Harding 147-0-0 peg 15
  2. Glenn Bailey 140-11-0 peg 20
  3. Tony Rixon 132-14-0 peg 13
  4. John Dursley 68-4-0 peg 1
  5. Martin Alexander 58-04-0 peg 17
  6. Ron Hardiman 52-04-0 peg 22
Top Silvers:

  1. John Bradford 20-08-0 peg 19
  2. Paul Attwood 17-13-0 peg 5
Weigh Sheet (Written by the Gimp on draw cards):


No comments: