Monday 16 June 2014

Saturday 14/06/2014 - Viaduct Open - Carey

Today was the start of our annual fishing holiday ay the Viaduct Fishery, with a mixed attendance, Bela staying for the weekend and Mark and Tim arriving on Tuesday. Glenn, Martyn and myself here for the whole week. Glenn was on a high as he had picked up on both the Wednesday and Thursday matches leading up to the holiday

The lodge still looked as new as our very first visit and extremely clean. This we think this is all to Helen Long’s (picture pending) efforts.

The match today was on Carey with a full attendance of 22. There was a lot of pre-match talk of the Skimmers feeding well because the carp appeared to be less active. So when I pulled peg 94 from the coffee tin I was delighted as there are usually plenty of Skimmers to be had. Glenn drew peg 74 and Martyn peg 85. Unusually the wind was blowing up the lake

I set up the usual 4x14 jolly for hard and soft pellet at 9 metres and two paste rigs, one for over the 9 metre line and the other down the RH margin again at 9 metres which is about as far as you can see and still be up the margin.

I started by feeding both lines with a big pot of hard 4’s and started on the semi hard pellet. You can usually expect a couple of early Carp or some Ronnie’s. Neither of these happened the float just sat looking back at me bewildered. I kept topping up with the fours to try and force some interest and a bit of a blow. It took a while before there were some signs of fish which lead to a 2lb, 1lb and 8oz Skimmers consecutively. Then nothing. I tried the paste over the line but didn’t get any indication, so this line was abandoned.

I spent the rest of the match down the RH margin and caught seven Tench with two of them managing to turn into tree branches.  I had a few small Skimmers with the biggest flying out and abandoning the hook. I also lost a near 3lb Hybrid. I did legally hook a couple of Carp both buggers doing me under the pallet.

My Silvers weighed 19lb 5oz for fourth in the Silvers. Those lost fish cost me second spot me thinks.

With the prevailing wind changing around 90 degrees sent the fish down the lake starving the usual flyer end bank pegs of the huge Carp weights

The match was won by Roy Worth (pictured right with some of his catch) with 223lb 12oz from peg 77. Roy caught fishing 11mm pellet on the lead fished over the pole line. Roy fed about ten pints of 8mm pellet throughout the match.

The Silvers was won by Scott Russell (pictured right) with 33lb 3oz from end bank peg 86. Scott caught at 13 metres using banded 10mm hard pellet lifting and dropping over lose fed 6 mm pellet.

Glenn (pictured right with some of his catch) said I should mention his runner up spot with making it three pick ups in a row 177lb 1oz from peg 74. All caught on paste at 13 metres.

Full Result:

  1. Roy Worth 223-12-0 peg 77
  2. Glenn Bailey 177-1-0 peg 74
  3. Martin Lenaghan 112-09-0 peg 109
  4. Ashley 97-10-0 peg 97-10-0 peg 96
  5. Steve Denmead 95-08-0 peg 88
  6. M Hayman 91-11-0 peg 79
Top Silvers:

  1. Scott Russell 33-03-0 peg 86
  2. James Rock 28-13-0 peg 80
Weigh Sheets:




No comments: