Thursday 30 June 2011

Thursday 30/06/2011 - Viaduct Cost Cutter - Campbell and Carey

Thank heavens for Margaret Thatcher who prevented the UK from being dragged in to the Euro zone. All we need now is another like Leader to extract the UK out of the EU; the “Wishy Washy Brigade” currently in power won’t have the balls to do it, that’s for sure. So much for the cheap wine we were all promised when we joined the European Union back in 1973. If we hadn’t joined we would now be a position to buy Greece and perhaps next year Portugal!!

It was a relative clear drive down to the Skivers match at Viaduct Fishery with only a bit of mopping up going on at Pilton (rumour has it that Beyonce stayed with Charlie Barns) and the school run drastically reduced due to the Civil Servant strike.

Another good turn out. I was expecting to see a few School Teachers, but didn’t see any. I was in the front of the draw queue until Steve long decided to draw in the shop and I was relegated to last (well nearly). In to the bucket and out comes peg 110. I couldn’t believe it 110 without 2 inches of ice on it. The last two times I have blanked on this peg! I had John Green on peg 111 and Charlie Barns on peg 112 it was going to be Silvers corner then - I hope. The small amount of wind was blowing in to peg 118 leaving my peg becalmed so not helpful.

There are both Silvers and as of late plenty of Carp in this peg so I decided to keep my options open with the Silvers given priority. I set up three rigs a 4x14 Jolly to fish at 6 metres out in front with meat for the Skimmers. A margin paste rig and a meat margin rig. On the start I fed a full pot of hard 4’s down to the tree stump. I started fishing with the 4x14 and meat kindering five cubes of 8mm with 8mm on the 14 hook. I had about 5lb of Skimmers and one Carp before I was pestered by small fish. So in to the margin and I had a good run of Tench and Perch on either, paste, worm or meat. I lost a couple of rigs on the Tench which meant a couple of walks down to the stump to recover my elastic and remnants of the rigs. So I decided to make up two more rigs both with 0.22 straight through. I still managed to lose two more Tench but managed to keep the rigs. I kept topping up the swim with 25% meat and 75% hard 4 mm pellet. Up to this point the swim started to see the bright sunlight which coincided with the Silvers switching off ably assisted by me jumping up and down on the stump. I did have a run of six Carp on the paste to add to the few I had caught in between the Silvers. My ten carp weighed in at 51lb 3oz and my Silvers 33lb 2oz. This put me fifth in the Silvers and fifth overall sneaking in the coin through a Colin Dyer default.

The match was won by Matt Tomes (pictured right) from peg 132 (apparently the same peg he drew the day before where he managed a second overall) with 134llb 4oz. Matt caught on the pole down to the end margin, short out in front and in his LH margin using meat hook bait.

The Silvers was won my Colin Dyer (pictured lower right in his plastic pig) from peg 119 with twenty five Tench for 54lb 7oz. Colin caught down his RH margin at 9 metres using corn over corn.

Full Result:

1. Matt Tomes 134-04-0 peg 132
2. Colin Dyer 111-08-0 peg 119
3. Chris (My First Ton) Rolfe 104-07-0 peg 130
4. Brian Chivers 103-07-0 peg 123
5. Mike Nicholls 84-05-0 peg 110
6. Scott Russell 83-13-0 peg 129

Top Silvers:

1. Colin Dyer 54-07-0 peg 119
2. Dave Wride 45-02-0 peg 100
3. Brian Preston 36-10-0 peg 94
4. Scott Russell 35-05-0 peg 123
5. Mike Nicholls 33-02-0 peg 110

No comments: