Sunday 23 May 2010

Sunday 09/05/2010 - Kev Perry Series - Bullocks Farm - Round Six

I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the five of the six matches (I missed one match) that I have fished in this league. I also must add that when taking into account the venue and quality of angler it’s the strongest league I have fished in since converting to commercial fisheries. There aren’t many Carp Slayers fishing this league – just as well, as you do need the right balance of Silvers and Carp at the weigh in.

I would like to thank Paul and Chris for running it – it’s not easy to run a league as competitive as this and satisfy everyone. I hope they run it again next year which is currently in doubt. Perhaps they will feel different once they have over-wintered and fished some right crap elsewhere.

I was on match Lake today and most anglers fishing the Lake today didn’t mind which peg they drew as they are all worth a few fish. However, because the sun was blazing hot and was unlikely to go in all day, I wasn’t that keen to fish pegs 21 or 22 only because of this as on their day the can be pension contributing pegs. You guessed it I drew peg 21 and had the scales as well! Because of the sun and with no sun cream I sat all day in my long sleeve jumper plus a handkerchief around my neck (a bit Sprigg’s like, really). I have fished this peg a few times now and have always managed to pick up coin.

I started on the 3 mm expander pellet attached to a no 16 - 808 Tubertini hooks attached to a 4x12 Jolly over a few wetted micros. I must say I absolutely sacked up putting around 9 kg of Crucians and Tench in the net within the first hour. I then hooked and landed a 3lb Carp. A foul hooked Carp was next in line, leading me a right merry dance around the swim – not good, it then came off as I was about to snare it. The swim then slowed, I then approached the weed bed to my right and had a run of small Carp to 2lb on paste fished over wetted 4mm pellet. Having fed two lines in to my RH margin I then proceeded to try it out. The upshot was that I didn’t have a bite from either line, so that was given up. I then decided that my best chance of coin would be to persist with the Silvers so I opened up a new line at 11.5 metres towards the 12 o clock weed bed. I did have a couple of more Crucians and some small Carp to 1lb until I foul hooked a Carp which ran in to the weed bed. On unshipping the top set I accidently let go and it ended up at 14 metres speared in the mud. I decided to leave it until half hour later a Carp swam in to it. So out came 14 metres and with a plummet on one of my paste rigs I was able to retrieved the set minus the rig. Good bit of angling if you ask me, plus it saved Tom Thick being thrown in by Bob Gullick to retrieve it. There was now about two whole hours left and I really struggled for bites as all the fish had backed off in to their favourite hid-a-ways the surrounding weed beds. From the Horses mouth Phil said he was going to cull the weeds with some sort of weed killer. Umm let’s see. My Carp weighed in at 7.2Kg (15lb 14oz) and my Silvers 10.5Kg (23lb 3oz) for a total of 17.7Kg (39lb 2oz). This once again left me one out of the money, fourth in the silvers and 7th in the Match (TBC). That bugger Nick Collins did it to me again off same peg 15 with 10.7Kg.

The match was won from peg 8 for the second consecutive week by Sam Johnson (pictured right – by the way he is a dead ringer of his Dad) with a credible 42.6Kg (93lb14oz). Sam caught mainly on sweet corn over pellet, with most of his catch coming from either the “Clump” or from the open water (bay) to his right. Sam did add a few Carp in his RH margin on paste.

The Silvers was won by Shaun Kitteridge from peg 26 with 17.7Kg (38lb 9oz).

Shaun (pictured right with overall runner up Lewis Jones and third overall Dave Wride (Dave also won the overall Silvers) also won the league with a full set of section wins. What’s was remarkable about Shaun’s win was that he had missed a match so was disadvantaged compared with many of the top league anglers who were able to drop their worse result. A number of anglers thought Shaun only managed this result through exceptional draws. However, I don’t always subscribe to this. Yes, you need some luck to win such a league but, you still have to catch them. Well done Shaun a great performance I was well impressed, one to watch for the future. You need may need to promote yourself a bit more.

For the full league result refer to Chris Fox’s blog.

Full result:

1. Sam Johnson 42.600 Kg peg 8
2. Mike Owens 29.970 Kg peg 25
3. Andy Hembrow 29.220 Kg peg D1
4. Shaun Kitteridge 28.00 Kg peg 26
5. Lance Tucker 20.770 Kg peg 24
6. Tom Thick 18.500 Kg peg 17

Top Silvers:

1. Shaun Kitteridge 17.500 Kg peg 26
2. Lance Tucker 11.550 Kg peg 24
3. Nick Collins 10.700 Kg peg 15
4. Mike Nicholls 10.500 Kg peg 21

No comments: