Saturday 29 May 2010

Saturday 29/05/2010 - Hillview Open

As it was Bank Holiday Saturday, it was off to Hillview Fishery again with son Steve. Travelling up theM5 the holiday traffic south bound was backed up from Almonsbury to the Michael Wood Services. Apparently the Bristolians are only letting the Northerners through one at a time, especially those towing sheds.

I think the Carp on most venues have now had a go at spawning and with the weather turning wet and colder the two lakes we were to fish looked dower, no sign of any fish.

I drew peg 10 for the first time ever, which is surprising as I have been coming to Hillview on and off since it more or less opened. It’s the top right corner peg on Moorhen Lake. So I was expecting good margin fishing. Terry King who was pegged behind me on Heron Lake suggested the margin fishing is usually best to the left of the peg rather than to the Right which looks very inviting as it has a hay bale in the corner. Son Steve drew the peg last match and confirmed he caught more fish to the left. However, with the wind blowing from my peg in to peg 20 I was left wondering if this would effect my catching. I set up two rigs – a 4x14 Jolly for seven metres to use with expander pellet and a 0.3 gram paste rig that would suffice for both RH and LH margin. I started on the soft pellet at 7 metres initiating the swim with a small Kinder pot of micro. I had a foul hooked Carp first put in which came off. Next put in I had a 4lb Carp, this time in the mouth, however, I pulled out of this one too. I then had a couple of Skimmers and couple of small Carp to 2lb. Looking around the lake it was soon clear it was going to be a difficult day. I was still getting the odd indication but it was really slow. So I made the brave decision to see if I could catch a few Skimmers, so I fed a big pot of maggot with a sprinkling of micro. I had been feeding the LH margin by hand with 4mm hard pellet. So I tried paste and was rewarded with a 2lb Carp – but that was it from this swim – not even any indications from Silvers. Out on the maggot and nothing so I switched to fished 4mm expander over the maggot and had a run of small Skimmers mixed in with the odd small Carp. I now decided to open up the RH margin by potting in some micro and had a run of very small Carp – it was generally fishing hard on both lakes, so I stayed with this swim to the end catching the odd small Carp. I made a good estimate of my weight and was only 8oz out weighing in 25lb 8oz for seventh overall, beating Steve by 3lb who fished peg 4.

I hope Viaduct fishes better than this tomorrow, at least I am a little more prepared.

The match was won by Dave Jordon (pictured right (on left of picture) with runner up Jon Newton) from peg 20 with 75lb. Dave caught at top-set plus one section at 2-o clock and 10-o clock. Dave had one swim for corn over corn and the other 6 mm expander over 6 mm hard pellet. Dave fed very little in both swims through out.

Full Result:

1. Dave Jordon 75-10-0 peg 20
2. Jon Newton 60-09-0 peg 7
3. Mike Lutwyche 42-04-0 peg 16
4. Rob Kilpatrick 38-02-0 peg 31
5. Nev Groves 35-0-0 peg 18
6. Chris Cork 26-0-0 peg 12
7. Mike Nicholls 25-08-0 peg 10

No comments: