Wednesday 2 December 2009

Wednesday 02/12/2009 - Carps AC - Christmas Match - Plantation

This time of year I am really finding it frustrating trying to take photographs with it getting dark so early and all, plus the wet conditions. Last Sunday I dropped my camera in a puddle, but fortunately it is still in good working order. This was my first Christmas match of 2009 and with the weather improving I was looking forward to some good Skimmer and Ronnie fishing.

I drew peg 6 which Chris Fox informed me was the Carp flyer and I should win the match easy – just set up the straight lead then! Umm, don’t think so!! Fishing isn't that prescriptive or reliable. However, to Bob Price’s amazement I did set it up, plus one Silver rig. I started by potting in some ground bait at 10 meters, I wanted to fish further but it would have meant pole fencing with John Bradford who was on the next peg 5. Both John and me couldn't fish the middle of our pegs because it was in total disrepair - plus charging a £6 peg fee - a bloody disgrace if you ask me!! I fired out some corn to just off the opposite island and to my amazement it more or less landed where I had targeted. I started on the straight lead with double corn hair rigged. After 5 minutes Rich Coles was in to his first Carp on the pole. He was catching on soft pellet over micro. As I hadn’t had any worth while indications I potted in some micro about 4 metres away from my GB line. I then went out on the pole with single maggot over the GB and had a run of Ronnie’s to 4 oz. I kept slipping on a soft pellet trying it over both lines but without any luck. Back on the maggot and a 5lb Carp was in the net. The swim died a bit so not having completely given up on the straight lead (even though Rich Coles by now had five Carp). I tried again and first cast I hooked a decent Carp which I pulled out of just as I grabbed the landing net. I cast out again and although I was getting liners I made the conscience decision that I could not catch Rich Coles up on Carp and decided to focus on winning the Silvers super pool instead. Using soft pellet over the micro I started to catch Skimmers to 2lb. I stayed on this to the end with the swim dying from time to time from either the bright skies and/or Carp having a smooch round the micro. The one Carp weighed 5lb 10oz and my Silvers went 16lb 6oz for a total of 22lb. This was good enough for first in the Silvers and 5th overall and a pick up of £45.


The overall winner and Silvers winner gets first choice of the prizes; however, because of gout issues I left the red meat and alcohol alone and went for a Clucker instead. I also a second pick from the raffle, again I decided to plat safe a picked up a jar of toffees (that’s the special ones Christmas present sorted)!!

As expected Rich Coles (pictured right with his winning catch) won the match by a big margin, weighing 61lb 13oz. Rich caught on the pole at 11 metres using soft pellet over micro.

John Bradford (pictured bottom right with his favourite Red Fins) on the next peg to me was runner up in the Silvers with a nice net of Ronnie’s. John caught on tiny pieces of worm over chopped worm.


Full Result:

  1. Rich Coles 61-13-0 peg 9
  2. Mike Owens 37-12-0 peg 13
  3. Darren Vowels 31-14-0 peg 4
  4. John Thompson 27-0-0 peg 14
  5. Mike Nicholls 22-0-0 peg 6
  6. Colin Golding 18-06-0 peg 12
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 16-06-0 peg 6
  2. John Bradford 14-08-0 peg 5

2 comments:

Chris Fox said...

Fair play Mike, I wouldn't have been able to resist the vermin on that peg, I fancied it to win, but that would have meant fishing the island all day.

tony rixon,s days out said...

that lead fishing is mind numbing glad to see i have dragged your spelling down to my level