Thursday 31 December 2009

Monday 28/12/2009 - Viaduct Two Day Silvers Freeze Up - Day 2

Although having checked that the Subway in Glastonbury would be open by 07:30 Bela and I were again disappointed to find the moron that was opening up as we arrived didn’t appear to know what day it was. So on to MacDonald’s again – and the last time for me. In future back to Shipham, sorry Bela doesn’t look like you going to get your breakfast in a loaf.

Steve Long wanted to proof load his new bridge over Spring Lake on peg 1 and required four average sized anglers to stand at mid span. I did better than this I got two anglers for the price of four. The picture right shows the bridge hardly deflecting under the weight of 36 stone (close on a 1/4 of a ton). Bridge passed with flying colours.
I must say I was a bit concerned that I would draw the peg 110 again today. However, out came peg 37 on middle. I was delighted as the section was won from this peg by Dave Roper with 13lb of Skimmers all caught in the last ¾ of an hour. I had a quick chat with Dave who gave me the low down – “take it easy with the GB”. The previous day Middle was ice free, but with a very heavy overnight frost there was about 3 mm of ice. I was hoping to clear it using the pole and cupping set, but it was just a little too thick. So round to Tim Pallant who was on peg 35 to borrow his ice breaker. It was a bit of a monster and I could only throw it 7 metres. So I dragged it back to Tim who reckons he can throw it 13 metres – should take up the shot put mate. Luckily Colin Dyer arrived on peg 38 and had a pensioner sized ice breaker. Unfortunately it only had 13 metres of rope (as you would expect) so I had to settle for that. I did make sure I cut a narrow channel as I think the ice do give the fish a bit of cover in the Vodka clear water. However, this does limit you to basically one swim, which I thin can be a good thing. Overnight I had decided to take a few of my Canal rigs with me (yes I still got them). So I set up a Senses Desque 0.3g wire stem – wire tip with 0.1 main line and 0.05 bottom to a size 20 Green Gamakatzu bloodworm hook. I also set up the usual PB14 with 0.1 hook length and 20 Tubertini 808. The plan was to start on the light rig until I caught my first Skimmer then swap to the heavier rig. I had no reason to change my feeding pattern, so fed identical. I did expect to catch a few Ronnies early, but not. To cut a very long story short I had my first bite at 15:30 and which was a 1lb Hybrid. I thought I might now start bagging, but alas not I did have a 5oz Ronnie at 15:50 which put me on 1lb 5ox and third in the section which was won by Andy Powers with 4lb on peg 33 and second weighed 1lb 9oz.

I think it was Tim Ford that mentioned ecently the lack of junior anglers coming in to the sport. As I said I think most are now entering via the Commercial fishery route but there needs to many more as I think the future of match angling is at risk. I mention this as pegged next to me today was a 15 year old junior (so I was pegged between the oldest and youngest anglers fishing today). His name is Geraint Powell (pictured right looking pensive on what to do next – like the rest of us then) and had travelled all the way from South Wales to fish the two day event. We all should nurture these young anglers and help them all we can to early success, which will maintain their long term interest. We also need Dads that are prepared to fund their kids and take them fishing even though they might not fish themselves. I do hope we see more of Geraint who, although didn’t have a bite, fished to the final whistle and well done Dad for supporting him.
The match was won by Tony Rixon from Campbell peg 114 with ….see his blog.

As anticipated there were two anglers with two section wins with the winner Joe Roberts (pictured right) taking first place on weight with 20lb 1oz to Bob Gulluick’s overall weight of 9lb 4oz.

Full Result:

Section Winners Day 2:
Section 1 Andy Power 4-14-0 Middle
Section 2 Joe Roberts 12-09-0 Carey
Section 3 Bob Gullick 2-04-0 Carey
Section 4 Tony Rixon 15-02-0 Campbell
Section 5 Nick White 6-10-0 Campbell

Overall Series:

1. Joe Roberts 2 points 20-01-0
2. Bob Gullick 2 points 9-06-0
3. Tony Rixon 4 points 19-05-0
4. Dick Bull 4 points 13-03-0
5. Nick White 4 points 11-06-0
6. Dave Roper 5 points 25-0-0

No comments: