Monday 22 January 2024

Sunday - 21/01/2021 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round 4 - Shipp's Canal and Taylors Pool

Travelled with Glenn. Weather had turn very mild but expecting gales and rain later. Both Pools still had some ice - thicker in some areas than others, but breakable.

My turn on Taylor's had prepared myself for drawing in the punishment pegs again  - 15,16,17. Couldn't believe to see peg 26 staring back at me - didn't know there was a peg 26! The peg is just off the end of the island which today would be unreachable. However, pegs 14, 26,25,23 and 22 have been the inform pegs. 

Short walk to the peg and was relieved to see that due to the wind driving into my peg had cleared most of the ice. Had a tap around with the pole to clear out to two barrels. Found myself next the the affable Steve Rodgers on peg 25. Very impressed how Steve spent an hour clearing all the ice form his peg almost down to empty peg 24. I'm not a fan of clearing too much ice as it does give fish some cover.

Set a 4x12 Winter Titan for one and two barrels distance in 6 foot of water, wasn't sure the Ronnie rig would be any good as the water was very clear, but set it up anyway in 3 foot of water Glad I did.

So it would be Pinkie and GB again, lots of confidence with this combo at the moment. A minute before the "all in" the wind picked up which was blowing into my peg at 10 o clock and blew a big raft of ice in front of me, so couldn't fish where I wanted. Would have meant using the ice breaker so decided to wait until the wind did the job. So started on the Ronnie rig with single Pinkie over GB. Had a few welcome tiny Perch and Ronnie's for about 8 oz when the ice was far enough to my right to start with the Winter at one barrel. But soon had to go up to a 4x14 due to conditions, which is where I stayed all match in-between trying the Ronnie rig. Double Pinkie here and had a nice steady day's fishing catching Skimmers to 1-1/2 lb and small Ronnie's to 3 oz. Had five Mirror Carp to 5 lb in-between catching silvers. Caught a Ronnie and when unshipping the number 3 the wind blew it in the pool - panic stations as I watched it it gradually sink. Got the weed cutter out and attached it to the landing net and first try retrieved it to my cheers. The wind got so bad could only just about hold the top two, presentation was awful during the final stages of the match. Then the rain came whilst packing up.

My silvers weighed 6 lb 7 oz and the five Carp went 15 lb 7 oz for a lake winning weight of 21 lb 14 oz. Glenn won the silvers on Taylor's so double bubble van.

Taylor's Pool was won by Geoff Francis pictured with Taylor's Pool winner with 61 lb 1 oz from peg 2. Geoff caught late using maggot at 10 metres, deciding not to take my advice to fish short. Well done Matey.

Photo's were limited today because of the awful weather.

Back to the New Inn for pint or two in my case as I wasn't driving 😁.

Weigh Sheets (with new waterproof sheets - brilliant):













League at halfway point:




No comments: