Monday 19 September 2022

Sunday 18/09/2022 - Windmill Open - Match Lake

My favourite time of year nearly here with the early morning mist rising from the match lake. Had my usual walk around to find pegs 17,16 and 8 full of litter. all collected and disposed of. Guessing teenagers - pictured.

Good turn out with 21 fishing. To justify the ball of paste I was hoping for pegs 14,12,10 or 1 . However, had to settle for peg 4, which I have had my fair share of. Not my favourite. For company I had Jason on peg 3 and Kevin Bamford on 5.

The opposite side of the lake is best for silvers, but with only 5 lb needed at the moment thought this doable from the peg so set the roost out accordingly:-

Short and long Ronnie rigs, 4x10 F1 light rig for the margins, a 4x13 MR to fish top set plus 3 barrels and the waggler.

Started on the MR with 4 mm expander over kindered micro in the hope of a skimmer or two. First put in and a 4 lb Common landed. Next put in a lost fouler. Following this I was getting tiny indications which proved to be 1 oz skimmers and managed just the two before switching the feed to Pinkie in GB (which wasn't to get fished over). Tried both Ronnie rigs with single LR on the hook over loose feed same and after 30 minutes of no indications it was very disappointing to have to abandon these banker silvers rigs. So picked up the waggler with single LR over LR loose feed. For the next 30 minutes I landed one carp and lost 4 foulers. This due to either fishing over depth and dragging into them of casting over them. I shallowed up and after a blank spell started to catch the odd Ronnie and skimmer. Only hooked one more carp which was landed. It was a question of catch 3 or 4 silvers before it slowed then 3 or 4 more. Think this was due my feeding pattern and carp interference. 30 minutes to go I had two consecutive better skimmers. The last 5 minutes was spent retrieving  Kevin's top set attached to a very angry carp. Come to think of it he didn't shout "fish on". It's just enjoyable helping a mate as being helped.

My three carp weighed 11 lb 13 oz and my silver 8 lb 11 for the silvers win. The total of 20 lb 8 oz was nearly last. Very enjoyable fishing the waggler - a skill lost to many nowadays.

The match was won by Kevin Bamford on next peg 5 (pictured with the silvers winner) with 74 lb 7 oz. Kevin had just returned form Whiteacres and decided not to waste his left over worms and casters putting them to good use at 11.5 metres. Kevin caught 13 carp steady over the six hours. Well done matey.

Result:

1. Kevin Bamford 74-07-0 peg 5

2. Nick Saunders 65-14-0 peg 12

3. Malcolm Fitzgerald 58-15-0 peg 10

4. Paul Elms 57-04-0 peg 21

Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 8-11-0 peg 4

2. Dave Haines 7-07-0 peg 22

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: