Monday 15 August 2022

Sunday 14/08/2022 - Tony Rixon's Rip Off - Plantation Jubilee Lake

The owners of the plantation complex have modified the Horseshoe lake, taking out the islands and making an even bottom of 5 foot throughout. Pegging is now all around the outside of the shoe instead of both sides. It's has been renamed Jubilee lake for obvious reasons. I understand that some small carp have been added, otherwise it remained the same stocking.

The usual hype about Bream to 5 lb from Rip Off, he would make a good salesman. Nineteen fishing today.

The talk was that the end pegs would dominate - pegs 8 and 9 today.

Once again it was going to be a very hot day - 34 degrees or more, so umbrella packed. Really aching this morning and if it wasn't for the help I get from Glenn I don't think I could go at the moment. A good friend indeed. We could park behind each peg so full draw for me albeit a tad early to give us chance to off load. Peg 16 it was, fancied this side to have some shade for the brolly. For company I had Ryan Summerhayes, on 17 what a well mannered lad and Rich Major on 15.

Plenty of decent sized carp charging around and looked decisively uncatchable. Decided to fish for the 5 lb Bream with maggot and GB. So set up the Ronnie rig and a 4 x 13 MR to fish top set plus two. Plumbing up the further out it shallowed a little otherwise reasonably flat.

The upshot was I caught a few Ronnie's, Rudd and tiny Skimmers of the Ronnie rig in the first hour which was really slow. It then completely died with very few carp showing set up the 4 metre to chase the Ronnie's and Rudd up in the water. Had three more until that died. Decided to fish the MR for the rest of the match catching the odd tiny Skimmer. I then had a strange hour where I lost seven Skimmers 6 about 2 - 3oz and one about 2 lb with the hook pulling even though I had a number 5 elastic in. I thought it might be because I was using a LR to switched to DR but after couldn't get another bite. Had a walk around to Glenn on peg 6 who was blanking so hoping for an early bath but he couldn't get the van out whilst anglers fishing. I went back and packed up as the heat and fishing had got to me.

My silvers weighed 3 lb 14 oz and my one carp 10 oz. for a total of 4 lb 8 oz which wasn't quite last as the was 4 DNW's and one blank!! I wished I had taken some 4 mm expanders  think this would have been more productive over micro.

The match was won by Rod Wotton (pictured under the umbrella next to the runner up Steve Seager) with 64 lb from peg 8. Rod was one of two anglers that could reach the far bank with the pole and made the most of his Landsend mud fishing using 6 mm pellet over loose fed same. Well done matey.

The silvers was won by Martin McMahon (pictured nearly smiling) with 18 lb 2 oz from peg 5. Martin caught at 11.5 metres using maggot over small amounts of GB. Well done matey.

Non of the 5 lb Bream showed must have been the hot weather! I had a look at my past blogs on this lake and it seems to have fished similar for carp but a tad better for skimmers. 

A disappointed van driving home but nothing a couple of cold ones didn't cure.

Result:

1. Rod Wotton 64-0-0 peg 8

2. Steve Segar 55-09-0 peg 9

3. Joe McMahon 47-13-0 peg 11

Silvers:

1. Martin McMahon 18-02-0 peg 5

2. Tony Rixon 16-04-0 peg 7 

Fish seemed to be shoaled at the far end.

Weigh Sheets:




No comments: