Monday 28 February 2022

Sunday 27/02/2022 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round Five - Shipp's Canal and Taylors Pool

My turn on Taylor's Pool and having walked around I was hoping for peg 22 which was the peg least effected by the nasty SE wind.

Oh dear wheres' my pairs partner? On my own again!

Into the car boot draw and out comes peg 26. For company I had Mark Taylor on 25. This is a noted carp peg which is fished over to the end of the island which looked like 16 metres to me. Obviously out of my pole reach but not the waggler. However, due to the wind hacking down the channel between me and the island lead to concerns about waggler presentation. Set up it up and plumbed around with the BB shot and found it about 2 foot deep. Decided to set it to 3 foot and fish off the island to try and get some better presentation. Also set up a 0.3 RJ Slim for the RH margin and a 4x13 MR black tip. Fed the top set plus two barrels with a ball of GB with some offerings for the silvers. Started on the Wag and Mag and after 20 minutes had to give it up due to the wind and presentation. So decision made to fish for the silvers. So over the GB line with a single LR and had a small 11 oz Carp followed by a 2 oz Crucian. Had a Ronnie and for a reason I have yet to understand started to foul hook small 4 oz Skimmer with most coming off. Had a couple in the mouth and one about 1 lb. To try and reduce the amount of foulers moved out to three barrels and plumbed dead depth. Fed another ball of neat GB with some micro and six LR's and with again single LR on the hook and had a run of small skimmers but was still fouling the odd one - very frustrating. Fed the line again and tried the margin with an LR over Pinkie and caught small Perch which really didn't add much to my overall weight. Back to the three barrel line when I heard Glenn say he just caught a 4 lb Bream (12 "Lids" recently stocked) so wiping out my silvers weight. I struggled on catching the odd small fish. Then heard Glenn say he just had a 5 lb Bream - bugger. I then relised as he was also catching carp and that he would either come first or second, so now enthused for a default silvers pick up got my head down as Mark and John had also been catching silvers. Didn't catch much in the last half hour as the sun was over my line so spent the rest of the match catching small Perch in the margin.

My carp weighed 13 oz and my silvers 6 lb 5 oz for indeed a default silvers pick up and surprisingly 3 points.

The match was won by stand in Joe McMahon (pictured right) with 44 lb from peg 21. Joe had plenty of room as the next peg was 17! He fished at 16 metres to the bar catching regularly 1 to 2 lb carp on banded 6 mm pellet over loose fed 4's - must have been chatting with his old man. Well done matey, hope you didn't leave anything behind!!

The silvers was won by Glenn Bailey (pictured with his Lids) with 12 lb 10 oz from peg 22. Glenn also caught at 16 metres with maggot hook bait over potted maggot. Well done matey.

Result:

Shipp's Canal:

1. Ricky Mills 27-12-0 peg 9

2. Martin Mc Mahon 18-04-0 peg 5

Silvers: Kev Winstone 2-03-0 peg 7

Taylor's Pool:

1. Joe McMahon 44-0-0 peg 21

2. Glenn Bailey 26-05-0 peg 22

Silvers: Glenn Bailey 12-10-0 peg 22

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: