Friday 29 January 2021

Saturday 12/09/1992 - National Championship - Division 4 - River Witham - Team Bristol

Three of us in the City of Bristol team were asked to join Team Bristol which were also struggling for team members, but like us had some good anglers and it made sense for me, Tony Rixon, Ian Spriggs, Pete Sivell to join them, with others transferring over later. Which meant this would be my third different National team, fourth if I count Bathampton non fishing Manager. We would be fishing Division 4 on the River Witham. 

Mark Jefferies arranged for some help from local ace Andy Finch. So because of work I would drive up and back in one day so took my son Steve with me who had just past his driving test to help with the driving. 

Arrived at the Witham where Andy was already set up and fishing. He explained his rig and feeding to us whilst catching Eels regularly in the 4 oz bracket. Basic Eel fishing bunches of white maggot over pots of the same. Tony Rixon and I love fishing for Eels and rushed off with our kit and was soon catching Eels one a bung. Not one Silver fish. Nice few hours before setting off.

We travelled up the night before and spent Friday night in Lincoln. For legal reason I haven't written about the night before these Nationals, I will leave this to others! All I will say is never share a room with Tony Rixon unless you get to sleep before him. Had my socks in my ears all night trying to drown out his snoring - heard nothing like it before or since.

On the day of the National 79 teams of 12 - 948 anglers would be lining the banks of the River Witham an old natural river and not a drain as some may think. I had fished a national on the river before – so not my first.

The Team Bristol comprising:

 Me

Tim Ford

Tony Rixon

Mark Jefferies

Mark Cook

Andy Floyd

Kevin Boltz

Glenn Bailey

Bob Shepherd

Paul Lombard

Pete Sivell

Martyn Woodington 

I was drawn peg M67 end section at Boston. I finally found the right M section coach which must have been brought out of retirement for the day as was the driver. We arrived at a housing estate and were told by the driver that we had to take everything we needed because he couldn’t leave the Coach there as the wheels would be stolen and likely vandalised. He went on to say it was a rough area and to expect youths throwing stones from the top of the high bank, and definitely not to retaliate. Good start. 

My peg shown in picture right with red dot, however, the picture is recent and it looks to me that the area has been redeveloped – possibly for the good. 

Whilst unloading the coach I overheard one angler say there were very few Eels at this end of the River. So the only plan scuppered. I then heard someone say there were plenty of small Silvers though. So I was already thinking of changing my plan.

A short walk to the river and found the banks very high and once down at my peg felt venerable if stones started flying. Tried to put it to the back of my mind and get on with the fishing. Found we all had plenty of room between pegs. 

As Bream wasn't mentioned I didn't bother with the feeder. So set up one of the many Eel rigs (which didn't get used)  and a 4x12 light Jolly with strung out shotting for the Silver fish. As usual I always take loads of kit and a variety of baits to these Nationals. I dug out some GB and Pinkies for starters. On the whistle I started by cupping in a ball of GB laced with some Pinkies at 11.5 metres and with single white maggot had a small 2 oz Skimmer first try – avoiding the dreaded blank. I had a good first hour catching small Skimmer, Perch and Roach, it then got harder. I was wishing I set up the waggler but was doing OK against the anglers around me. 

Halfway through there was some commotion a few pegs down from me, with what looked like stones being thrown into the river. It didn’t last for long. However, after about 30 minutes two young lads were running down the far bank being chased by a Policeman on a bike – keystone like. I kept an eye open but no one returned – probably still chasing them. 

The peg chirped up a few more Silvers in the final hour, but no bonus fish and NO eels!! I weighed 4 lb 9 ¾ lb for 65 points out of 79. 

The team came 13th with 602 points and promotion to division 3 which would see us on the 16 and 40 foot Drains the following year.

 Result:



Milo Mohmar won the team event and Paul Hillier winning the match with 28 lb 1 oz of Bream. The team was totally unware of the Blood Worm and Joker issue as we didn't even know it was allowed.


No comments: