Saturday 15 June 2019

Saturday 08/06/2019 - Thursday 14/06/2019 - Viaduct, Landsend and Avalon Fisheries

Time for our annual pilgrimage to Viaduct. This year ten of us shared two 6 berth lodges, myself, Son Steve, Geoff Francis, Mark Tanner Martyn Woodington, Glenn Bailey, Tim Ford, Martin Rayet, Gordon Cannings and Chris Ollis. Six matches in six days. If the fishing doesn't kill you the terrible diet and lots of alcohol might. Not one vegetable or piece of fruit all week! I had a take-away call a Kebab which ended up in the bin after two mouthfuls. The weather wasn't set for the sun worshipper and those that like wearing Budgie smugglers whist fishing - rain all week and torrential at times, BUT very little wind, which would be great conditions for the fishing. Pictured "The Inbetweeners" outside one of the Lodges.

Saturday 08/06/2019 - Viaduct - Silverfox 13 metre Pole only - Campbell


Twenty fishing the max for this match. It doesn't matter which peg I drew as I had intended to fish for the Silvers. Into the coffee tin and pulled peg 121 on the end bank. Umm, the last time I fished this peg I framed with Carp, so felt I had to abandon the thoughts of Silvers. So set-up two paste rigs - one 0.3 gram to fish top-set plus three and a 0.2 gram to fish the left and right hand margins. Started on the long line in front with paste and a few hard 4's in the kinder cup and hooked a Carp within seconds which came off (not fouled). Out again and within seconds I landed an 8 lb Carp. Next put in a fouler. No more Carp for a while instead started to catch decent Skimmers. After I had about 10 lb of Skimmers and with no Carp interested in my paste I thought I should change to fishing for them and nearly got up off the box but decided to stay with the paste anticipating catching late. I carried on catching the odd Skimmer. I tried down both margins and had one small Tench. I did have another three Carp. Unfortunately the decision to stay with the paste and Carp was the wrong wishing I had changed.

My four Carp weighed 35 lb and my Silver 21 lb 4 oz just 3 lb out of the Silvers coin. My total of 56 lb 4 oz was only good enough for midway.

The match was won by Phil Hardwick (pictured right) with 176 lb 1 oz from peg 111. Phil caught some shallow but primarily on 8 mm pellet on the deck.

The Silvers was won by Tim Ford (pictured) with 33 lb 2 oz from peg 116. Tim caught on hard pellet - see his blog for further details. Nice to see Tim qualify for the Silvers final.


Son Steve drew peg 119 and struggled but did manage to land a decent Carp - pictured right. 

No doubt there are lots of fish around the Aerator.

Result:

1. Phil Hardwick 176-10-0 peg 111
2. Bob Gullick 119-02-0 peg 112
3. Tim Ford 104-0-0 peg 116

Silvers:

1. Tim Ford 33-02-0 peg 116
2. Gordon Cannings 24-07-0 peg 125
3. Chris Ollis 24-01-0 peg 126

Weigh Sheet:



















Sunday 09/06/2019 - Tony Rixon Float Only - Round Two - Landsend - Specimen, Match and Walters Lakes:

With Landsend stopping breakfast we stopped at the Bear Hotel in Street for a continental breakfast - all feeling a bit bloated after a night out at the Unicorn Hotel the food I gave a 3 out of ten and not to return.

Forty fishing over the three Lakes. One ticket left in the tin when I got there so broke a golden rule and let Tony draw for me - peg 21 on Match Lake. Arriving at my peg I found Martin Rayet on end peg 24, Clint Wojtyle (and Son) peg 23, Gary O'Shea peg 19 and Joe McMahon peg 17 I wasn't thinking a section win nor a framing then, so the only way to coin was Silvers my peg can throw up some decent Skimmers.

So set up a 4 x12 Winter Titan to fish top-set plus four which is just about half way across. I also set up a 0.2 margin paste rig for the LH side for later in the match when the Silvers tend to fade.

Started on 4 mm expander over a few kindered micro and started to catch small Ronnie's - missing a few bites, as you do on expander's. I had a Skimmer of about 1 1/2 lb then one of 3 oz before the line appeared to die. I upped the feed and got some fizz from presumably Carp  but couldn't catch anything - meanwhile all the other section members were catching Carp. The rain started and was torrential and over the course of the match raised the water level by an inch!  Well behind and with the Silvers being figment of imagination I switched to the margin with paste at top-set plus one (margin pole) and  the Drennan 25 elastic (I love using this stuff). I had been feeding the odd hard 4 but now switch to kindering them over the paste. I had a Carp first put-in. Subsequently I caught some better Carp steady over the rest of the match, losing only one in a snag, not sure how it managed to stretch my elastic that far. I must say the Carp are in good condition.

My disappointing Silvers weighed 2 lb 9 oz and my Carp 116 lb 7 oz and to my surprise my total of 119 lb was enough to win the section got me fourth overall.

The match was won by Neil Mercer (pictured upper right with the Silvers winner) with 159 lb 10 oz from fancied peg Specimen peg.

The Silvers was won by Clayton Hudson with 16 lb 15 oz from Specimen peg 33. I understand that they were mainly accidental!!

Definitely no where near as many Silvers in Match Lake and no signs of any follow-on small Skimmers.

Result:






















Weigh Sheets:
























































Monday 10/06/2019 - Viaduct Residents Match - Lodge Lake:

We arrange with Mandy at M&M's cafe in the precinct to open early every morning for breakfast which she is very happy to do which is served in double quick time very useful. 

Twelve of us fishing and I was left with peg 62. Not a Carp flyer so chose to fish for Silvers. So set up the Ronnie rig and a 4x12 Winter Titan which could be fished anywhere. Bait wise it was GB and caster with single on the hook. Started on the Ronnie rig by feeding lose GB with loose casters. The upshot was I caught Skimmers and Ronnie steady all match - perfect plus only three accidental Carp.

My Silvers weighed 28 lb 13 oz for the Silvers win the Carp took my total to 67 lb 5 oz.

The match was won by Martin Rayet (pictured right)  with 117 lb 12 oz from peg 60. Martin fished meat short for most of the match and qualified for the all winner final.

Son Steve had drawn peg 66 and had a torrid time losing Carp in a snag fishing long down his LH margin towards the tree branch, it wasn't until he switched to his top-set down under the recently trimmed bush to his right that he started to catch and land Carp.

However, the highlight of the day was Geoff Francis, who provided great entertainment. A Carp pulled out his top five and the only option was to strip off and go in after it. He did get it back and land the fish. Apparently we discovered that Helen Long keeps a pair of binoculars in the office and intently observed Geoff stripping off to dry himself. I'm blowed if Geoff didn't lose a top-set this time by a Skimmer pulling it off! Geoff pictured right swimming out and in. Couldn't help noticing that Chris Ollis didn't flinch from his concentration. No one caught after this escapade for at least 30 minutes.

Result:

1. Martin Rayet 117-12-0 peg 69
2. Tim Ford 115-0-0 peg 53

Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 28-13-0 peg 62
2. Glenn Bailey 15-08-0 peg 59

Weigh Sheet:



Tuesday 11/06/2019 - Avalon Fishery - Silverfox Float Only:

Breakfast at M&M's before our trip to Avalon Fishery. When we had all gathered I could tell to a man that there was little enthusiasm. It was cold, wet and windy blowing straight down the Lake. Vic Bush had arranged weigh sheets and pegs for us and would weigh in after.

Into the draw bag and pulled peg 19. Didn't mean a lot as the conditions were such that the waggler was a no-no, didn't stop Mark Tanner thrashing it about though. Son Steve was on the next peg 17- (pictured right hiding in the reeds playing a Carp that ended up under his platform). I fancied Glenn Bailey would win today from end peg 22 where he was sheltered from the worse of the wind.

I decided to fish for Silvers with a 4x16 Winter Titan and 4 mm expander on the hook over GB laced with micro. The tow was against the wind which would be favourable for presenting dead depth. I started well catch five bream in five put-ins - happy days. Just thinking of a big weight when the peg completely died. I went for a Banana walk and as expected Glenn was in the lead but close behind was Tim, Martin and Gordon. Chris Ollis had about 15 lb of Silvers which was probably the most I could scrape up. Back in the saddle and switched to paste, but for the rest of the match could only add four Carp.

My Silvers weighed 14 lb 8 oz with my total weight initially 47 lb 8 oz which meant I was beat off the next peg by Mark Tanner. However, my magic keep net came to the rescue providing two more Ronnies increasing my weight to 47 lb 10 oz making it a draw with Mark - Phew that was a close call.

As expected the match was won by Glenn Bailey (pictured right) with 170 lb 4 oz from peg 22. Glenn caught on paste over wetted 4's at 13 metres from three different lines.

The Silvers was won by Chris Ollis (pictured right) with a tremendous weight of 41 lb. Chris caught on worm over GB laced with caster, chopped worm and DR's. Well done to him.


Geoff Francis had some big Bream with the one pictured right weighing over 5 lb.

The Lake fished really well. A pity there's not more Sunday Opens here I'm sure they would soon become very popular.

Result:

1. Glenn Bailey 170-04-0 peg 22
2. Gordon Cannings 151-02-0 peg 9

Silvers:

1. Chris Ollis 41-0-0 peg 13

Weigh Sheet:





Some of the team are starting to wane with Mark Tanner (upper centre) collapsing on his bed at 6 pm for a power nap!! Woke up at 11 pm and watch TV until 1 am!! 

Wednesday 12/06/2019 - Silverfox Short pole Match - Campbell Lake:


We stopped in the Bear Hotel on the way back from Avalon for a meal which was OK and not too pricey.

We've had a lot of conversation with Martyn Woodington about his new Space bar. Which is apparently  6 foot long plus or minus 10 thou. Glenn Bailey soon re-named it Woody' outer space bar - pictured right.


The match is limited to top-set plus three sections of pole, with the rig line no longer than the top-set. We were oversubscribed and had to turn anglers away so not happy to have a no-show, "No-show" need not apply next year. Thanks to all those that did call to cancel. Sorry to hear Lee Werrett was in hospital hope it's not serious, get well soon matey.

Last in the draw and found myself at the opposite end to the last match on peg 135. Again I had drawn it twice before and had framed with Carp, but wasn't going to make the same mistake and risk missing out on the Silvers which are feeding well all round the fishery at the moment. So I set up the Ronnie rig and two paste rigs.

Started on the caster over GB laced with caster and basically caught all the species in the Lake. I had about 10 lb of Perch mostly 4 ouncers so swingable and 20 lb of Skimmers. I had two Tench and lost two in the marginal rubbish - they fight like the Chub on the River Avon. Late on I had a go in the margin with paste to only catch a Ronnie! I did have my usual three accidental Carp on the caster. A lovely days fishing.

I weighed 37 lb 7 oz of Silvers which was enough to win the Silvers by 1 lb 6 oz (sorry Chris - not). My total weight was 60 lb 8 oz. Last year I tried hard to qualify for the all winners silvers final and failed but within two weeks qualified three times!!


The match was won by Glenn Bailey (pictured right) with 167 lb 5 oz from peg 112. Glenn caught at the full permitted length using paste over soaked 4's. And qualified for the all winners final.

Son Steve went over in his net - 85 lb so was disqualified. He would have weigh just over the ton with his 20 + lb of Silvers!! lesson learnt.

Result:

1. Glenn Bailey 167-5-0 peg 112
2. Martyn McMahon 154-04-0 peg 130 ("I hate this peg")
3. Tim Ford 153-09-0 peg 121

Silvers: 

1. Mike Nicholls 37-07-0 peg 135
2. Chris Rolfe 36-10-0 peg 116

Weigh Sheet:




















Curry night at last and what a night. It is now BYO drinks and we thought one would be sufficient but there is always one that goes one large better. The food was excellent, the best at this house yet.














Thursday 13/06/2019 - Viaduct Costcutter - Campbell and Carey Lakes:

Nice to meet up with the usual suspects plus old teammate George Perkins back from sitting in a Bivvy.

Into the draw coffee tin and out comes peg 99 on Carey. One of my pegs of choice! Silvers it is then. For company I had everydayer Colin Dyer, the other side Wally. Nige Easton drew another flyer who was opposite on peg 78.

The set up was the Ronnie rig and a 4x14 Winter Titan to fish at top-set plus 3 and 4. What caught me out was the amount of tow (flow) right to left and slightly out caused by the Aerator. The hydraulics is now different all around the Lake. Dependent on where you are two pegs either way and it flows differently. I fed the long line with GB laced with caster and the Ronnie rig with the same. I struggled presenting with the Ronnie rig. The side effects of the flow from the aerator is to push the debris into the bank which fishing short meant hooking twigs and branches. So with about 10 lb of Perch and Skimmers in the net I switched to the long line but found holding back caster difficult. I also began to think my fine GB might have washed away. So I had a rethink deciding a heavier bait was required plus drag a couple of 11 shot. So switched to corn over corn. This worked well producing positive bites from decent Skimmers. I had a good second half match and learnt a lot today about this peg. At Carp - o'clock I had four Carp losing four foulers. It did affect the Silvers but nonetheless it was fun landing these big fish on my Silver kit.


My Silvers weighed 40 lb 13 oz and my Carp 44 lb 9 oz for a total of 85 lb 6 oz. This was second silvers and fourth overall on the Lake. The match payout was split over Campbell and Carey to picked up second Silvers - Carey. Well done Nige.

The Match was won by Paul Morris (pictured upper right) with 212 lb 5 oz from Campbell peg 129. Paul caught on the lead with banded pellet.

The Silvers was won by Shaun Wilson (pictured right) with 55 lb 3 oz from Campbell peg 114. Shaun caught mainly on expander pellet over pellet/micro.

Once again the venue fished very well indeed especially for the Silvers.

Result:

1. Paul Morris 212-05-0 peg 129
2. George Perkins 200-05-0 peg 128
3. Glenn Bailey 180-01-0 peg 135
4. Alex Nadin 173-02-0 peg 131

Silvers:

1. Shaun Wilson 55-03-0 peg 114
2. Nigel Easton 46-13-0 peg 78
3. Pete 43-05-0 peg 115
4. Mike Nicholls 40-13-0 peg 99

Weigh Sheet:
























Our last night was spent in the Globe Inn which has just reopened. A young couple has taken it over and have a lot to learn I think. That said the food was OK but portions small.

Martin Rayet was well ahead on the Natch front downed 44 cans in six days not including all the "Inbetweeners".

A great week. The weather could have been kinder. God must have thought it was Glasto week.

Booked again for next year - the countdown begins. thanks to Helen, Steve and Matt Long for putting up with us for a whole week. And a special thanks goes to my Drennan Umbrella.

Finally: How pictures might deceive, is it tea he's drinking out of Natch Cup?







No comments: