Monday 3 December 2018

Sunday 02/12/2018 - Viaduct Silvers League - Round Five - Campbell, Carey and Lodge Lakes

After a five week lay-off and spending six days in Bath's RUH with a bacteria infection I was looking forward to getting away from Brexit discussions which is swamping the news. I was tested for allsorts including Leptospirosis. Currently all the test have proven negative with the doctors saying that they may never know the cause. However, more blood test today and hoping to get signed off by my Doctor on Wednesday. Myself, I think it was fishing related, it's surprising what we put in our mouths on the lake side!

I had a choice of either Todber Manor on Saturday or Viaduct Slivers league on Sunday. The Special One wouldn't let me do both. However, the decision was made to go to Viaduct based on having a lift with Bela. Thanks to Mark Poppleton for sorting a reserve for Todber.

After a  decent breakfast in Canards Well the first fry-up for five weeks. I had a walk around the lakes and noticed that Lodge peg 66 has had a severe hair cut (pictured right). I was left wondering whether it would still remain a flyer Carp peg. Time will tell.

Early into the draw and a swim card jumped into my hand which I thought was a good omen. Opened it to find I was on peg 121 - longest walk and an unsociable peg. I couldn't make up my mind what colour float to use as the light was shocking, I find red best compromise in these cases. What is really needed is a float that changes colour with the change of light! So set up a 4x12 Winter, the Ronnie rig and a waggler. However, having agreed with the lads each side how far I could fish it I didn't feel comfortable so left it in the roost and the casters in the bag. I had a chat with Bob Gullick who had been on the peg last match who said he had 4 lb of Ronnie's and no Skimmers. Bob also added that there had just been a two day Perch festival on the Lake with it full of Prawns (what's that about). I went back to my peg with my chin in my chest. Looking for positives the wind was blowing down to this end and in fact was in my face and it was mild at 13 degrees. So I chose to fish GB and maggot all day in two swims one short on the Ronnie rig and the other long at top-set plus three barrels. Fed a one squeeze ball of GB laced with Pinkie on each line. I started long and was soon getting indications. Knowing that I would have to dot right down I found seeing the float difficult. But by a slight lift and drop I started to catch 4 oz Skimmers. I had a reasonable first hour catching these and found a quicker response as soon as I topped up. I didn't have one proper bite with them all being lifts and nudges. I missed a few bites as I was slow spotting these unusual bites. I swapped between the two lines catching Ronnies on the Ronnie rig. What was interesting was the swapping of feeding patterns between the two species. The Ronnie line was fed and left whilst the Skimmers line had to be fed and fished. I kept small fish coming for most of the match and with two minutes to go hooked a Tench on the Ronnie rig which came off. Judging by the amount of Tench slime on the line it might have been fouled hook, leaving my biggest fish at 6 oz!!

I thought I had 14 lb but Steve Long decided to give me 9 lb 8 oz. Aide memoire - Lend Steve my special enlargement glasses next time. However, this gave me a second in section pick-up with Chris Davis winning the section with 16 lb 7 oz from peg 125. ell done to him. So would have finished second in any case. I must say I did enjoy it but found it very tiring. I need to get match fit.

The match was won by Steve Tucker (pictured right with a nice net of Skimmers) with 32 lb 14 oz from peg Carey peg 81. Steve Set up four pole rigs all Garbolino DC C32 .2.4 all 012 to 08 G Power line size 20 hook in 4ft of water on three lines at 14m feeding Special G black and pro natural lake with casters and red squatt. Steve caught steady all day on casters rotating the three lines but had to top up after every 2-3 fish. Steve and pairs partner Gary O'Shea had a good weekend winning the Todber Pairs the day before. Well done to both worthy winners.

Bela was disappointed with his catch today but that what some of the draws give you. Live ti fight another day.

Unfortunately I mixed my dates and will miss the last match. Good luck to all.

Result:

1. Steve Tucker 32-14-0 peg 81
2. Gary O'Shea 23-07-0 peg 96
3. Paul Elms 21-10-0 peg 59
4. Sam Powell 21-08-0 peg 129
5. Alvin Jones 20-08-0 peg 86
6. Nick Ewers 19-15-0 peg 130

League:

1. Sam Powell 4 points
2. John Fuidge 4 points
3. Craig Edmonds 5 points
.......
18. Mike Nicholls 10 points!!

Weigh Sheets:























No comments: