Friday 2 March 2018

1999 -2000 - Embassy Pairs


Andy Floyd and I decided to enter the 1999 – 2000 Embassy pairs being fished on both the River Huntspill and King Sedgemoor Drain on July 8 1999, which was built up as a very big match and indeed it was with 275 pairs entered. Two section A and B – A being the Huntspill and B the Sedgemoor. The draw was at the Burnham-on–sea holiday camp.

The Sedgemoor had been particularly kind to me, so wanted to be B section. Likewise Andy wanted the Huntspill. Not sure how the sections were decided whether we drew for them or we
placed ourselves, nonetheless we both got our wish. I drew section peg B164 (swim card pictured right) which I discovered from the map would place me on the south bank around Bussex Bend up from Parchey Bridge and was really hoping to be on the Calvert just before the bend.

I dropped Andy off at Withy Grove so a decent area especially as he would be on the North bank. Got to Parchey Bridge parked up and had the choice of walking or waiting for the Farmer and his tractor at the cost of £1. As it would be a while before all the stragglers and lost souls loaded up I could be at the peg which I was eager to locate. So a long walk followed. I was slightly disappointed to walk pass the Calvert, but only by ten pegs. Even though we had some heavy overnight rain the river looked in good trim. I have done well opposite here before catching Bream to 7lb on the waggler and caster, so that was first to be set-up, followed by the Normark No 1 feeder and the13 metre pole with 1 gram float bulked with Olivetti plus dropper. By then Anglers on the Farm tractor had only just arrived! Due to it being summer the grasses and sedges where very high so it was near impossible to see neighbouring anglers.

Come the all in I loose fed some casters and started on the waggler. I started to notice the water was picking up some pace. It was soon apparent that the Sluice Gates had been opened down at Dunball. Good communication then. It wasn’t long before huge rafts of weed were bombing down Drain making fishing impossible. The anglers around me went on a heavy feeder fished up high down the middle which was a joke as they soon have tons of weed building around the line. I hope Andy was doing better!

After some thought decided that the flow would soon subside so put a worm and caster on the feeder loaded with GB and caster and lowered it in off the end of the rod tight down the edge in the hope of a Perch or Eel. Within seconds the tip went round and I had a 7lb Bream in the net. No one had seen this and that’s the way I wanted to keep it. In again and with in seconds another decent Bream. In again as quickly as I could because I felt this spell would only last as long as the sluice gates were open. I looked behind me and a couple of anglers were watching me. The cat was out of the bag! My match went like this: ten minutes on the waggler – nothing, forty minutes on the feeder down the side - seven Bream losing the eighth with the hook pulling due to my haste to landing it, four hours ten minutes on the pole, waggler and feeder – one 4oz Chub!

My seven Bream weighed 17.420 kg (38lb 6oz) for ninth overall and ninth in section with 267 points.

The match was won with 113lb. That heavy flow certainly got them feeding.

Again I chose to walk back to the car instead of waiting for the tractor. Because Withy Grove was busy plus my long walk and drive Andy had walked down to the end of Withy Grove where I found him waiting. Andy was smiling he had weighed 17lb which was to be worth fourth in his 275 peg section and a mega 272 points. The talk during the drive back to the results was our hope that we would make the top five qualifying pairs for the Denmark final. It took ages for the result; Andy and I were overjoyed when we were announced second overall pair just three points from winning with 539 points – should have taken more care with that eighth Bream. So my car had a very rich double bubble. Further great news when team mates Ron Hardiman and Mark Cooke were announced third – so some good company on the trip.

The final was the week beginning 09 June 2000 which was nearly a year after qualifying. Both Andy and I were really looking forward to the trip with the time really dragging. Our appetites were wetted when we received all new fishing luggages – Red with the Embassy logo.

We both felt like winners before we stepped on the boat to Denmark. All 80 finalists were to enjoy a seven day, all-expenses paid trip to Denmark which includes a return ferry crossing from Harwich to Esbjerg, coach transfers to and from the superb Tre Roser Hotel in Kolding, a reception, a presentation dinner and three days fishing (one days practice and the two day final on two Lakes in Jels).

At last we were off to Harwich to catch the overnight ferry to Esberg. We were first in the car park, but not for long. We loaded our tackle onto a huge furniture vans then boarded the ship. We found our cabin which we shared with Ron and Mark. Dumped our luggage and attended a meeting where we were again handed more freebies which included a £50 voucher to spend on board in the duty free shop. We were also given food and beer vouchers for the evening meal. No expense spared by W & H O Wills – the Embassy Sponsor. One Northern Angler spent his food voucher on cigarettes and tried to blagg a dinner. This was soon dealt with by Tommy Pickering – a true leader. I didn’t have enough beer which leads to not much sleep especially with us all taking turns to empty out bladders throughout the night.

Due to the sailing times between Harwich and Esbjerg, only one day's practice could be included in this year's final. Embassy however compensated every finalist with a cash bonus for the loss of the practice day, in essence no competitor paid for their fuel costs to Harwich and back home. Personally I would have preferred the extra day to practice both venues. Upon arrival in Jels we all had the opportunity to look at the big Lake and as mentioned by previous finalists, the water truly was crystal clear. An official welcome was followed by a Viking village visit, then back to the hotel to unpack. That evening saw the draw permutations for the following three days made (first day practice, then match days 1 & 2). I drew on the Golf course bank on Jels. Andy would fish Soslette (Mink Lake), at the start of the section, unlike Jels Lake, Soslette apparently had excellent water colour. The two anglers from Swindon had been there the week before practicing and I tried to get some info from them, but failed early evening, but later I discovered that they had been blanking on Jels Lake! I wish I had taken more notice of this fact.

We weren’t allowed any tackle in the hotel, however, just across the road they had arranged lock-up garages so come morning we loaded up the van that was to take us to our venues (pictured right).

We were limited to 10 Kg of dry ground bait each match day! Strangely the rules dictated that we had to use it all!

We were dropped off near the Golf Club which meant negotiating the Golf course during which one of the lads got hit by a golf ball whilst crossing a fairway! The weather was bright but extremely windy. I had drawn next to the lad that got e had a really nasty bump on his face and didn’t do much fishing. I choose the feeder to fish long range for Bream, well as far as I could catapult GB. I must say I killed any chance of catching in the first twenty minutes bombardment as did many others. Along with those around me I didn’t have a bite. With ¾ of practice day gone most were asleep or on the bank sunbathing. A Viking ship came out on the Lake and could hear the beating of the drum as they rowed against the wind. Once they reached the end they choose to raise the square sail to go down wind. We all pissed ourselves laughing because the wind was so strong that they lost control and ended up crashing into the bank and getting a soaking (pictured right the long boat moored up behind a Angler which was the only place you could catch a Roach or two). I decided the next day I would fish sparingly for a Perch as some were caught.

Andy had done really well on Soslette (Mink Lake) catching 20 kilos. We drew again for our pegs, I was hoping to be on the Viking Village bank which fished best in practice, but ended up on peg 17 on the Golf Course section again just a few pegs from where I practiced/blanked.

The next morning I noticed the flag outside the hotel which was indicating gale force winds which meant more feeder fishing. We all made a quick dash across the Golf Course – no
injuries this time. Ron and I was drawn one peg away from each other. The organisers had put out marker posts which were “not to be waded beyond”. The guy that put them in must have either been in a boat or was a nine foot Viking because even with chest waders on I couldn’t get near them. I did set up long legs on the box so could sit out of the freezing cold water (Ron upper pictured right in foreground motionless and me three up carefully winding in the feeder in case a micro Perch had hung itself). I decided to fill the feeder with chopped worm with a small piece on the hook and leave it there until I had a bite – or not. This cast was to be my most hopeful. I did have an indication and struck nothing just a chewed worm. That was the end of my excitement for the rest of the match. The Angler on the end peg had three Perch for mega points. We had another safe dash across the Golf course. I had a chat with the van driver who told me that that the Lake had been netted and the fish put on farm land for fertilizer, wasn’t our angling abilities then.

Back to the Hotel where Andy went first with great news he had come third in his section of 20 and fourth overall on the day with 25 kg and a pick-up. Then I had to give him the bad news – my blank. After a decent evening meal a few of us went out on the town to look for a pub. We finally found one called by all names “The English Pub”. The pub was empty before we arrived. Most Danish folk don’t tend to go out drinking in the week saving themselves for a right piss-up on weekends.

At last my turn on some fish drawing peg 21 on Soslette (Mink Lake). Andy drew a decent peg on the Viking Village Bank on Jels Lake near the landing stage. Again the wind was horrendous. I arrived at my peg which was end peg next to a fence. I was determined to try and fish my pole at 9 metres to hand with a 3 gram Jolly. The only other possibility was the feeder. With plenty of GB mixed and loads of chopped worm and casters mixed in I balled it on the pole line. First put in I had a lifter and swung a 12 oz Skimmer - nearly to hand but ended up 20 feet behind me due to the wind blowing it off the hook. The 9 metre to hand pole was impossible - just a dream. So I settled down chucking out the feeder on the same line. There was absolutely millions of 12oz to 1lb Skimmers in front of me. The problem was hooking them on the feeder as I was getting lots of liners. The tip wouldn’t sit still. The angler next to me in the meantime was waiting an age for a bite but would catch a 4lbBream! I came to the conclusion that this was due to me being on end peg where the small fish were getting to my bait quicker than the bigger fish. One of the organiser came down and watched my tip and asked how I knew when to strike. I said it was a bit of a guess but waited until the rod nearly dragged in. It was a very frustrating days fishing. I weighed 18 Kilo for a section 5th for 15 points. Very few of my Skimmers broke the pound barrier!

Back to the Hotel and Andy had caught a couple of Roach for ¾ Kilo and 2 points. So at least we shared the good and bad, making me feel better. Team work!! Overall we came 28th out of 40 with 34 points. On hindsight I should have made more use of the practice day. The Jels Lake had a lot of margin weed which surely would have held a few Perch? I didn’t try this instead I tried to empty it with nonexistent Bream! On Soslette Lake I should have fished the pole close in at four metres, I would have definitely caught more, but I had broken a cardinal rule and had already committed by balling long.

It was a great week with great company, food and drink. It was a pity that Jels Lake fished so badly, because of this the following years (and Last) Embassy Pairs was moved to Spain.

The medal.


The pairs were won by Rick Tweddell and Brian Harding – well done to them. (Pictured right). Nice guys.

MILLENNIUM EMBASSY CHALLENGE – RESULTS

1. Rick Tweddell (Spalding, Lincs) & Brian Harding (Spalding, Lincs) 75 pts (£6,000)
2. Stu Conroy (Warrington, Cheshire) & Steve Conroy (Warrington, Cheshire) 68 pts (£3,000)
3. Klaus Fix (Nuneaton, Warwicks) & Paul Turner (Pendeford, Wolverhampton) 66 pts (£2,000)
4. Gary Whalley (Newton-le-Willows, Merseyside) & Jimmy Hines (Wigan, Lancs) 61 pts (£1,500)
5. Gary Drew (West Wickham, Kent) & Paul Wiltshire (Sidcup, Kent) 60 pts (£1,000)
6. Neil Mallinson (Durkar, Wakefield, Yorks) & Gary Skelley (Huddersfield, West Yorks) 56 pts (£750) and Steve Raper (Leeds, Yorks) & Paul Clark (Bradford) 56 pts:
7. Mallinson & Skelley take sixth place on superior overall weight - 52.300 kg to 46.400 kg

INDIVIDUALS

OVERALL (BEST ONE DAY WEIGHT)
Bob Bates (Wisbech, Cambs)) 44.120 kg (£2,000) 
Martyn Blank (Rotherham, South Yorks) 37.760 kg
3 Ian Lovett (Hucknall, Nottingham) 35.460 kg
Neil Mallinson (Durkar, Wakefield, Yorks) 31.700 kg
Stu Conroy (Warrington, Cheshire) 31.420 kg
Jimmy Hines (Pemberton, Wigan, Lancs) 29.720 kg

DAY ONE
Ian Lovett (Hucknall, Nottingham) 35.460 kg
Paul Wiltshire (Sidcup, Kent) 27.680 kg
3 Tom Pickering (Doncaster) 27.320 kg
Andy Floyd (Kingswood, Bristol) 25.040 kg
Paul Clark (Birkenshaw, Bradford) 24.780 kg
Mark Cooke (Coalpit Heath, Bristol) 24.330 kg

DAY TWO
Bob Bates (Wisbech, Cambs)) 44.120 kg
2 Martyn Blank (Rotherham, South Yorks) 37.760 kg
Neil Mallinson (Durkar, Wakefield, Yorks) 31.700 kg
Stu Conroy (Warrington, Cheshire) 31.420 kg
Jimmy Hines (Pemberton, Wigan, Lancs) 29.720 kg
Phil Austin (Stanley, Wakefield, Yorks) 28.680 kg

No comments: