Thursday 18 January 2018

Thursday 18/01/2018 - Silverfox Open - Boyd Valley Lakes

I haven't fished this lake for a number of years, not because of the fishing but due to the lack of anyone willing to organise anything. I have had some great days fishing here. I regularly walk from home to Boyd Valley Lake throughout the year and have been impressed with how it has fished during the summer. My Grandchildren fished there in October and had a nice net of Roach. So with nothing on locally I booked the venue for the Thursday Coffin Dodgers. I was surprised in the interest and ended up with 16 fishing. I now think the venue can take 18/19 with a bit of pruning.

I really didn’t know how it was going to fish especially with the overnight weather of gale force winds. My expectation was low for Carp but higher for Silvers. How wrong this was.

I wanted a peg with double digits. Unfortunately I let Harry Muir draw for me and handed me peg 1. I did have a good look in case he accidently tore off the second digit, alas not. This is the last and only last time Harry touches a swim card of mine. The wind has been gusting into the peg for many days so my expectation wasn’t high. So serve Harry’s right when he arrived on peg 2.

First things first happy birthday to peg 13.

I set a 4x14 to fish down the inside shelf in 6 foot of water at top-set plus three to fish maggot over GB laced with a few of the same, two 4x10 Speedy’s, one to fish to my right with Pinkie and the other to fish caster to my left. The upshot was after three hours I didn’t have a bite on the positive rigs, so went for the Banana walk. Glenn Bailey was doing the best with four Carp and Paul Barnfield best in the Silvers with three fry Roach. I went back and spent the rest of the match fishing on the Pinkie line inside the reed bed, managing 33 bites catching only seven tiny Roach.

I weighed 3oz for joint third in the Silvers with Birthday boy who thankfully finished second in the match, so I didn’t have to split the coin.

The match was won by Glenn “No Pots” Bailey (pictured upper right with some of his catch) with 54lb 6oz from peg 11. Glenn caught of various methods – Pole with soft pellet and DR’s. And the lead over to the sedges on DR’s and bread. Glenn also caught a decent Skimmer - Hybrid on the pole which landed him the double bubble. Glenn pictured right with the default Silvers winner.

I must say all the Carp caught toady were in excellent condition. 

A special well done to Mike Jones for his third overall catch of two decent Carp on his preferred Daiwa whip set-up (not for the faint hearted).

Overall it was a good day especially with the expected rain not putting in an appearance, plus it was back to the Holly Bush with the usual suspects.

Full Result:

  1. Glenn Bailey 54-06-0 peg 11
  2. Tony Rixon 17-11-0 peg 13
  3. Mike Jones 17-01-0 peg 5
  4. Ryan Jordon 16-06-0 peg 6
Silvers:

  1. Glenn Bailey 1-10-0 peg 11
  2. Paul Barnfield 1-01-0 peg 9
  3. Hughie Evans 0-12-0 peg 8
  4. Mike Nicholls and Tony Rixon 0-03-0 pegs 1 and 13
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: