Tuesday 5 July 2016

Tuesday 05/07/2016 - Acorn Open - Paddocks

With son Steve off to Menorca with the family I had the day off from picking the twins up. So I teamed up with matey Glenn Bailey for my second visit in one year. The last time I came I was left thinking I was unlucky on the draw bag. So I left it later into the draw bag and out comes peg 16. No emotion as I had no idea. For company on peg 18 I had Merv Sivell who I haven’t seen for a few years. Nice to see him again as we always have a bit of banter. On the other side peg 15 I had Welshman Steve Shaw. First time I have fished next to him nice mucker I recommend it.

I am not going to bore myself again today with writing about the first five hours which produced two Carp and a few Nemo’s from the far bank with either paste or maggot. I came to the conclusion that fishing over is a waste of time – for me and my neighbours we were also struggling. I went into practice mode setting up allsorts.

Steve Shaw had feed some GB halfway between us but whilst he had his back turned fishing the other way there was Carp tails waving at me. Should I tell him or drop in myself I did neither, instead I had a Banana walk down to Two Pots who was on peg 9 to see if I could scrounge some GB. Alas he kept all of his 2Kg. Back to my peg and I farted about some more and with two hours to go Steve Shaw started to bag down his RH margin on maggot/GB feeding five pints of red maggot. Nonetheless he had a couple of pints left which he bequeathed to me. But it wasn’t until the last hour that I started to catch down to pallet 17 feeding wetted paste as GB substitute and maggot. Initially I was foul hooking Carp on a bunch of maggots on a 4x10 Yoof. I shallowed up 4 inches off bottom and had a good run with the Carp ripping the elastic out, two much too late. I did learn a bit today but I don’t know when I will be there next by which time I guess things will change.

There is always a first time! Two sets of brand new digital scales were being used for the weigh in. By the time one set of scales got to Vince Brown on peg 21 there was some debate as to whether the scales were reading correctly. Vince pulled out his small Carp net where I estimated at least 10lb, the scales recorded 7lb!! We tested the scales against the other set and found that they were reading 25/30% less!! On inspection the scales hook was loose. The decision was made to spilt the match into two sections one with the dodgy scales and the other with the correct scales. The overall results contain some, let’s say estimation.

I weighed a miserable 37lb 15oz with the peg worth double this with hindsight.

The match was won by Gabe Skarba (pictured above right with some of his catch) with 134-09-0 from peg 1. Gabe caught on soft pellet over to the far bank over wetted micro and later on soft pellet over GB in his margins.

Full Resultish:


















Weigh Sheets:



















No comments: