Sunday 13 March 2016

Sunday 13/03/2016 - Windmill Fishery Open - Match Lake

We were promised some bright sunny weather although accompanied by a North Easterly wind. In to the draw box and out comes peg 17. Apparently a Carp peg, however, arriving at the peg the swim was flat calm with the wind blowing over my right shoulder combined with the high bank behind me I was well sheltered – felt a bit like Spring. Dave Haines who arrived on opposite peg 10 by tractor (pictured right) looked a bit cold.

I set up a 4x10 Yoof for the margin at top-set plus three sections in 30 inches of water which was about 1 metre out from the bank. I didn’t have high hopes as the water looked too clear to fish in the bright sunshine. I fed it with pellet and 6 pieces of corn. I set up a 4x18 Jolly to fish at top-set plus two sections. Here I fed micro to fish semi-hards for the Skimmers.

Although I kept topping up and trying the margin with single corn I only had two missed bites from small fish, so swim abandoned.

I fished the Jolly for 90% of the match initially catching Carp to 10lb. After netting six it dried up and for the remainder of the match I caught mainly small Skimmers with a couple of better ones and two Crucian’s. I did accidentally got more water on the semi-hards with most turning to semi-slush! 

My Silvers (pictured right) weighed 15lb 15oz for first in the Silvers and my Carp weighed 33lb 6oz for a match fourth weight of 49lb 5oz. Excellent days fishing.

The match was won by Gerry Welsh from golden peg 32 with 79lb 9oz. For who Gerry caught see his explanation in the short video below (double click for full screen).

Full Result:

  1. Gerry Welsh 79-09-0 peg 32 (Golden Peg)
  2. Dave Haines 66-14-0 peg 10
  3. Chris Gay 58-15-0 peg 27
  4. Mike Nicholls 49-05-0 peg 17
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 15-15-0 peg 17
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: