Thursday 11 February 2016

Thursday 11/02/2016 - Coffin Dodgers Silvers League - Round Three - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake

Third match this year and the third time we had a frost to start the match. Our turn in C section pegs 19 to 23. Anglers have been hoping for end pegs, today I was hoping for either peg 23 or 22. Time to select from the pegs spread out on the draw table and peg 22 sticks to my mitts. Happy with this primarily because I had a good day on the peg back in the early autumn (Lake pictured from behind my peg below centre). Dave Wride drew the end peg 19 which I think he fancied. I was sandwiched between Bill Ferris on my right and mumbler Dave Haines on my left - peg 23.


Bait table – Semi Hards (not used), wetted micro and live wriggling maggot – no caster!

Even though we had a frost the water colour was reasonably coloured thus expected the Ronnie’s to feed. I wasn’t sure about the Skimmers though because it was bright sunshine and little to no covering wind. I set up the Ronnie rig to fish up wind (mistake this time). Tried a 4x16 Jolly but it was too deep so switched to a 4x18 Jolly. Simple.

I fed the Ronnie line with GB laced with maggot followed with the same feed on the Jolly line at top-set plus two.

I knew in a few minutes that the Ronnie’s weren’t really going to be chasing the hook bait. In the first hour I had three tiny Ronnie’s an 8oz Mirror which I thought was a Perch, followed by a very pretty 5lb Common. Out on the Jolly line and two lost Carp later I decided to deploy the decoy – a pot of wetted micro at top set plus three to distract the Carp, which I kept topping up throughout the match. After a re-feed of laced GB on the Jolly line I had a good second hour catching Ronnie’s and small Skimmers with a couple going 12oz, this spurt I now put down to the wind picking up a tad and picking up the into wind tow. For a reason unknown to me the tow stopped and the rig was gently going with wind. For the next two hours I struggled but kept feeding small balls of laced GB. The last hour wasn’t much better picking off the odd small Skimmers and Ronnie’s. Ten minutes to go I hooked a 2lb Skimmer and as luck would have it I struggled a bit up-shipping the top set and let the lacy slack and it was good buy Skimmer – bugger.

I finished the match with 5lb 1oz for a section second and fifth overall.

The match was won by Steve Dawson (pictured right) with 6lb from peg 8. Steve initially tried the expander pellet followed by caster to no avail. He caught most of his fish on maggot over GB, loose fed maggot and Micro fished at 6 metres. Steve is a good thinking Silvers angler.

I think it’s a fair venue for Silvers as the weigh sheet supports.

Finally Dave Wride was last seen wheel spinning out of the car park without a bye or leave - bad losers!!

Full Result:

A Section - Lee Waller 4-09-0 peg 32
B Section – Steve Dawson 6-0-0 peg 8
C Section - Paul Barnfield 5-14-0 peg 20
D Section – John Barker 5-08-0 peg 27


Weigh sheet:


No comments: