Sunday 3 January 2016

The River Huntspill

Back in the 1960’s very few anglers had cars so it was a real treat to fish further a field such as the Huntspill River, a five mile straight channel excavated during the early years of the second world war. It ran from Gold Corner, where it was connected to the South Drain, to a new outfall on the estuary of the River Parrett and had retention sluices at both ends, so that it acted as a long reservoir. It was intended that in the summer, when water supply was lower, it would serve as a reservoir with water pumped from the moors; in winter as a drainage channel, via gravity drainage. Pictures right looking towards railway bridge and Withy Grove on further to the Motorway Bridge.

The plans were for a 25-foot deep channel, with the excavated earth used to create flood banks at its edges. At this depth, water could flow into it from the moors by gravity, but problems were experienced with the design. Because the underlying soil was peat the weight of the flood bank caused it to rotate and push upwards in the bottom of the channel. Experiments were carried out to find the optimum size for a stable channel, and the result was one that was only 16 feet deep. The flood banks could not exceed 15 feet in height, and had to be set back from the edge of the channel by at least 30 feet. Because of the lack of depth, water from the South Drain had to be pumped into the river. The existing pumping station at Gold Corner could not cope with all the water from the drain, as well as flood water from the moors, so had to be enlarged.


The primary way to get there was by organised Coach trips (Charabancs). The pictured below typically shows one of these fishing trips with Granddad (with his usual bottle of Light Ale), Dad and me sat in front middle. Back then the river was very deep at least 12-foot and we fished it float ledgering with long home made wagglers. The problem was casting any distance as we were limited to using centre pin reels it meant pulling line off the reel through four or five rod rings. The river was absolutely rammed with “Bootlace Eels” so plenty of hook lengths needed.


Back then the River Authority maintained the River regularly letting the level drop considerable which I witnessed only the once, which was at a South West Winter League which Dad was fishing and he took me as spectator and general nuisance. The picture centre says it all. I remember Dad getting told off by Mum for allowing me to get mired in the grey Huntspill mud. There was plenty of flow so was fished very differently from when it was full.




Since then I have pleasured fished the Huntspill regularly with Dad and Granddad travelling in the back of my Uncle Dugs van.


I also fished a few matches with the likes of Dave Searle and Joss Saunders the Anglers to beat on the waggler and small fish.


The river was popular with Bridgewater AA running huge matches especially popular was the Huntspill Championship with anglers coming from all over the country to fish the match which was usually double banked and a sell-out. I fished a few of them but it was very hard to land on the winning shoal of Bream. I remember Les Evens endeavoring to collect 2000 worms before a Championship. I fished plenty of opens and team matches and framed up a few times but I was never consistent. I did qualify for the Woodbine regional final just up from Gold corner with 14oz!! The final was to be fished on the Gloucester Canal which I couldn’t fish due to other commitments.


I remember one pleasure session with Dick Hodges and Son Steve. Steve put up his umbrella and soon found himself 10 feet out in the Huntspill. The Huntspill is very exposed to all elements. It took a while to recover his umbrella. We fished on and when I got Steve home Mum wasn't amused with me because he was covered in grey mud - what goes round comes round.

The only match I have recorded was the 125 peg John Handley Memorial Match fished from Gold corner to the Railway Bridge. I drew the last peg on Withy Grove right up next to the Motorway Bridge just above the slipway and spent the whole day with the thumping of car tyres going over the bridge Joints. I only set up the pole at 13 metres fishing double caster over big pots of caster and initially caught well but couldn’t keep the Bream and Skimmers coming. The match was won by matey Tony Rixon who had draw midway along Withy Grove. At least I went home with more than a headache. Rixon Trick Em.



































The river now is probably at less than half the original depth probable cause being the rising peat as originally discovered during construction.

5 comments:

Mike Jones said...

Have you got a date for that Match Mike? I would guess 57 or 58. I remember being a keen junior but not able to get into Bathampton B. Think I got in the next year, Imagine trying to run a local league of 18 teams of 12.
Harold Dixon was the first league secretary, followed by Ray Warren And then me.
At that time there was quite a long waiting list of teams trying to join. From what I remember the following year the Bridgewater teams left and formed the Somerset league but the S/W league stayed at 18 teams and the Somerset 12 I think, 362 anglers in the dead of Winter from our local patch!!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Its the main issue with these old pictures is identifying the exact date. However, this was during the 1959 to 1960 WL season finishing in February 1960 I was 10 years old I think Dad fished for the Silver Dace. I remember getting a lot of bollockings from anglers as I walked behind them in the mud loosing my boot on occasion. As you say imaging getting 216 anglers to fish the Huntspill in the dead of winter.

Unknown said...

Chris Cooper. Great read Mike. When the Bream didn't feed the Hunspill was the fairest venue in the South West . I remember winning the South of England Championship in 1982 or 83. Nearly 200'fished and Dave Winter asked me at the draw what peg I wanted and I told him I I wasn't bothered. I was totally confident that I could catch roach and hybrids on my big waggler fishing caster down the middle and feeding reallly lightly. I went two hours without a bite until the fish turned up and I ended up with 12 lbs odd. I have never fished another match anywhere where I could say the draw did not matter, but i used to fish the ' Spill so often I knew it's moods. The following year i started working in London only getting home at weekends. I could not practice and it was never the same for me there again!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Chris

I have never forgot you telling me you were going to spend Christmas day fishing the Spill. I was so envious. Still an ambition of mine though!

Unknown said...

I've just bumped into this page whilst reminiscing about my days on the Spill when I won a load of matches and bagged a pile of fish. Some legendary names have posted on this site and I remember Mike Jones very well, plus Dave Searle. Chris Cooper and myself spent weeks(!) on the Spill working out methods when the bream weren't feeding. We invented a special swan quill waggler to deal with the westerly chop and it worked like a charm; very stable but highly sensitive to the roach bites, usually fished with a 1.7 tail and a no. 4 shot as a telltale. I loved that river and fished it under massively different weather and river conditions. Great days.