Thursday 12 November 2015

Thursday 12/11/2015 - Harescombe Fishery - Cost Cutter - Match Lake

On the way to the venue there was a serious accident on the M5 just after Junction 12 - south bound, loads of police directing traffic off the motorway back to J12. Luckily I just made it off in time. The South bound carriageway was closed for most of the day which meant on the way home I had to go around the back roads to Stroud and get on at J13 to avoid hold-ups.

There was a cold wind blowing down into the valley with it flat calm the near end and rippling the far end as pictured right.

I guess the traffic may have deterred some anglers as only eight of us made it.

In to the draw bag and out comes peg 2. The peg Tony Rixon wanted last match – god knows why as he struggled. That said at least I was, to some, degree out of the wind, in fact I parked the car closer to peg 1 to get some extra shelter.

I set up the usual rigs but found the margins shallower and flatter than other pegs I have fished, which was a bit disappointing. Out at top-set plus one I had about 4 foot. The plan was top fish caster in the RH down-wind margin and meat in the LH margin and dead reds out in front on the Jolly.

After the initial feeding of all three lines I started on double dead reds and soon had a 1lb Barbel ripping the elastic out. After missing a few bites from tiny fish I foul hooked an F1 which I lost followed by a couple more foulers not reaching the net. An hour gone and still the one fish in the keep net. So it was time to try the margins. The upshot was I could catch an F1 from one margin then having to switch margins to catch another and that how the match developed. Throughout the day and unusual for the venue and me I lost a total of 11 F1’s either foulers or lightly hooked. The impression I got was there wasn’t the head of fish in this peg at the moment as they all seem to have migrated to the other wind covered end.

I weighed 33lb 2oz which although only got me third I was satisfied with how I fished.

The match was won by Brian Duckett (pictured right with his catch) with 45lb 6oz from peg 10. Brian fished the Jigga with hair Rigga banded pellet, feeding hard 4’s over the top. Umm.

Result:

  1. Brian Duckett 45-06-0 peg 10
  2. Martin Hook 43-12-0 peg 6
  3. Mike Nicholls 33-02-0 peg 2
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: