Sunday 11 January 2015

Sunday 11/01/2015 - Hillview Open - Moorhen and Heron

Back to my commercial fishery roots – Hillview. It was nice to meet up with Keith Hill again. He told me the story of his missing Christmas tree – Keith was not amused.

Keith has done more work adding a bar/function room @ £3 a pint.

It was also nice to meet up with Terry King and Neville Groves. These are the two anglers to interrogate. Apparently the winning weights have been coming on the waggler and straight lead, not feeding anything with either bread or maggot hook bait. However, there are only a few pegs that these methods can be sensibly used. Otherwise it was to be pole and pellet or maggot.

The venue has been fishing well due primarily to the head of big F1’s.

The pools are £20 with an option of a £3 Silvers Pool, which I decided to enter.

In to the smelly woolly hat and out comes peg 24 on Heron. This put me on the far side in the RH corner. Peg 24 is the shallowest peg on the venue. I was glad I had done the Silvers as to win overall from this peg would be difficult to say the least. I initially set up a Ronnie rig for caster over loose fed caster. However, I couldn’t find enough water to make it viable so it did get a serious wetting. The only other rig was a 4x 14 Jolly which had to be fished at 7 metres to find the shelf in 5 foot of water.

I decided on two lines for the Jolly – one at 12 o clock where I would fish 4 mm soft pellet over hard micro (can’t use wetted feed at Hillview) and the other at 2 o clock where I fed Pinkie.

I started on the Pellet and after 15 minutes without a bite switched to fishing maggot over the Pinkie and had for F1’s and some Silvers. I did loose a 2 lb Skimmer at the net which was foul hooked and another where the hook pulled at the net – bugger. I made amends by netting a 2lb Tench. The Ronnie’s were not really feeding but I managed to keep a few small versions coming plus the odd small Skimmer. Even though I kept topping the Pinkie up the swim finally died after foul hooking three F1’s.

In the meantime I had converted the pellet line to a combo of micro and dead red feed. I then had a run of f1’s on single red. I did loose a 8 pound Common Carp at the net – bugger. Looking around my section there were pegs which I expected to fish well but were struggling for bites and a good few DNW's

My Silvers weighed 8lb for first in the Silvers and my F1’s weighed 20lb (you don’t get ounces on the venue – nearest ½ lb) for a total of 28lb for an additional section win and a double bubble payout. (pictured right with the match winner).

I must say I did enjoy the day – my sort of fishing.

The match was won by that man again Neville Groves (pictured right with his bucket of F1’s) with 64lb 8oz from Moorhen peg 2. Nev fished 14.5 metres towards the aerator to his right at 2 to 3 metres out from the bank. The man to beat on the venue for sure.

Full Result:

  1. Neville Groves 64-08-0 peg 2
  2. Andy Newton 60-08-0 peg 18
  3. Andy G 56-08-0 peg 6
  4. Pete 51-0-0 peg 36
  5. S Someone 38-0-0 peg 9
  6. Barry Hill 35-0-0 peg 40
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 8-0-0 peg 24
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: