Friday 26 September 2014

Thursday 26/09/2014 - Coffin Dodgers Day Out - Ivy House - New Canal

With Huntstrete Lakes closed for matches (re-opening on Thursday 9th October for our first match) the Coffin Dodgers decided to have an away day to Ivy House – New Canal. The canal has been fishing well so it was surprising that only seven CD’s plus one new member, John Barker were in attendance (pictured below centre).


Andy and Karen made us very welcome providing an excellent breakfast and all you can drink coffee/tea for £5.50.

In to the draw coffee tin and out comes peg 8. Well it didn’t matter where you drew as we all had two pegs. For company I had Dave Poole and Mike Keys. My peg was about 12 metres wide just outside a bay to my left.

The water coloured looked very coloured indicating to me that there has been plenty of feeding fish. I had only brought paste and pellet. So set up two paste rigs one for down the middle the other for the down wind RH margin. The main attack however, was to be a 4x12 Sensas Stainey also fished down the middle. The first strange thing (which I have experienced before) was that the wind was blowing in both directions between pegs 6 to 10. The next strange thing (which I haven’t seen before) was the colour of the water changed before my eyes going emerald green.

I started on soft pellet over some kindered micro and got a few tiny indications from I guessed small fish. It took me 55 minutes to get my first bite a small Ronnie! I had a walk and everyone was struggling for bites. I scrounged a handful of casters from Dave Poole, some maggots and corn from Mike Keys and had another go. I did have three small Carp and an 8 pounder on the caster, plus a few Silvers. tried the paste long and in the margins with out any indication of a size or type of fish. The fourth hour was dire so with 45 minutes left I got the rest on the pole out including the coloured storage tube. I attached a 4x12 jolly and caught another two small Carp and one Ronnie – it was hard.

My 3lb 3oz of Silvers put me second to last and my six Carp took my weight to 18lb 10oz for third.

Mike Jones won the match from peg 1 with 26lb 8oz which included a 10 lb Carp. Mike mainly caught on maggot.

Keeping up the new member tradition John Barker (pictured right with his three big Skimmers and bits) won the Silvers with 11lb. John caught his Skimmers either maggot, corn or caster!

It was a shame the venue didn’t fish to form, but we all agreed it was a fairish venue and we will be looking to go back gain.

My drive home from Pucklechurch was a nightmare as some of the roads were closed due to a burst water main. Arriving home we were one of the homes affected. Luckily I had some Pinky Ponk in the garage!


Full Result and Weigh Sheet:


No comments: