Sunday 23 February 2014

Sunday 23/02/2014 - Westerleigh Winter League - Sixth and Final Round - Both lakes

After another respectable breakfast in the New Inn it was in to the draw for the final round where I was on the New Lake/Canal. I was hoping for pegs 24, 23 or 30. With these pegs already gone by time I drew with flyer peg 24 going to matey Bela, leaving me with difficult peg 33, especially as I had the gale force winds in my face and Bela opposite (pictured right - there is water somewhere between us - but not a lot!).

The peg is about 6 metres wide so because of the wind I opted to fish just over halfway at 4 metres with just the one rig a 4x12 Jolly with Pinkie over GB - simple.

I had good start with my first five quick fish being five different species, weighing about 3oz!! For the first 20 minutes it was a small fish a chuck until the fish stopped chasing and started grazing. The wind was so bad I had to add extra depth to slow the float movement towards me to keep the bites coming. I ended with 75 fish for 4lb 2oz and 5 points. I did enjoy today but would have enjoyed it more if it wasn’t for the bloody wind – when is this warm, wet and windy weather ever going to stop it’s been three months now.

I finished the league a disappointing eighth which was due to too many difficult draws. That said I did enjoy the league and will probably fish it again next year!

Bela as expected won out Lake with 9lb 4oz but not with a few wobbles losing a big Perch near the end. His catch did include a 2lb Perch.

The match was won by Simon Belcham (pictured right with the Silvers winner) from peg 10 with 9lb 6oz. Simon caught at 13 metres on single maggot over loose fed maggot, but not a lot. Apparently Simon started the series with a ¼ of a pint of maggot and has most of them left.

The Silvers was won by Joe McMahon with 8lb 12oz from peg 13. Joe caught at 13 metres using soft pellet over micro. Most of His catch was made up with three big Skimmers.

The league was won by Simon Belcham (pictured right with second and third in the league). See the table below for league results.

Thanks to Brian Shanks for organising the league and laying on
 food after today last match.

Full Result:

  1. Simon Belcham 9-06-0 peg 10
  2. Bela Bakos 9-04-0 peg 24
  3. Martin McMahon 8-14-0 peg 14
  4. Joe McMahon 8-12-0 peg 13
  5. Steve Rogers 8-10-0 peg 21
  6. Brian Shanks 7-10-0 peg 3
Top Silvers:

  1. Joe McMahon 8-12-0 peg 13
  2. Brian Shanks 6-08-0 peg 3
Weigh Sheet:














Final League Table:




3 comments:

Mike Jones said...

The peg is just over 6m wide so I opted to fish just over half way at 4m????????????

Silverfox Match Angling said...

I fished at an angle - Duh!!

Anonymous said...

Mike i think you find Si got his magg at kingswood angling centers closing down sale an he uses a plastic magg on the hook as it wriggles more