Thursday 26 September 2013

Thursday 26/09/2013 - Bathampton AA Over 55's and Disabled - Withy Pool

Arriving at Withy Pool I was surprised to see how low the water level it was, at least 26 inches down, now that’s a lot of missing water on a lake this size. At least there is plenty of water left and plenty of space in front of most platforms to get close to the water.
 
Mike Jones had his normal dilemma as to which pegs to put in as we had another good turn out of 25.
 
In to the draw bag and out comes peg 62. I was happy with this as I have won from it previously, both Silvers and Carp, but both during the winter. However, I thought I might catch a few big Skimmers and Carp using the same bait - paste.
 
So I set up a 0.5 gram paste float and for back up in case, I set up a 4x14 Jolly (I usually fish a 4x16 but because of the reduced depth managed to get away with a lighter version). I was able set the seat box up in the water and was very comfortable being that much closer to the water surface. For company I had Ray “Radio Leicester” Bazeley on peg 61.
 
O on the whistle I pot a pot of a mix of hard 4’s and wetted micro. Out went the paste at 10 metres and second put in I had a 10 lb Mirror Carp. Next put in I foul hooked one which I pulled out of. After re-feeding I could get a bite so tries the Jolly with maggot over caster and micro and had a very, very short blast of small Skimmers 1lb 7oz to be precise!
 
There was certainly a lack of Silvers which told me to fish for the Carp. The up shot was that I landed four more Carp which arrived in pairs. I re-fed after every fish. My five Carp weighed 57lb 14oz giving a second combined overall weight of 59lb 5oz.
 
The match was won by Alan Jones (pictured right with some of his Carp catch) with 86lb 4oz from peg 73. Alan caught on bunches of worm fished over coarsely chopped worm and caster feed.
 
The Silvers was won by organiser Mike Jones (pictured right working out the results and the only angler to break double figures) with 10lb 12oz of small fish from peg 35. Mike caught on caster over caster using his preferred whip method.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Alan Jones 86-04-0 peg 73
  2. Mike Nicholls 59-05-0 peg 63
  3. Ray Bazeley 50-10-0 peg 62
  4. Charlie Barnes 38-06-0 peg 69
  5. Bob Price 37-0-0 peg 52
  6. Martin Alexander 33-0-0 peg 49 
Top Silvers:
 
  1. Mike Jones 10-12-0 peg 35
  2. Andy Shields 9-04-0 peg 67
  3. Mike Keys 8-13-0 peg 47
 
Weigh Sheets:
 
 

1 comment:

Mike Jones said...

Oh! dear,Mike, More senior moments.
You were on peg 62 today not 63. If you fished 63 I'll have your winnings back. He-he.
also 27 fished not 25