Wednesday 2 January 2013

Review of 2012

The beginning of the year it was the Viaduct winter league for me fishing for SilverfoxTM (the TM is for Tom Mangnall our lucky dip Captain). There are five matches and you fish all five lakes (unless you are Des Shipp who so how managed to miss fishing Carey Lake by switching teams). Starting on Lodge I had three good matches, until it was my turn on Campbell and although I drew well, peg 115, unfortunately I fished it out of character messing around with the straight lead and meat and not really catching much, it wasn’t until I switched to wag and mag over caster did I put a few fish together too late on. My final match was to be Carey peg 90, not one you would wish for, but again after switching to caster over caster on the pole I started to get a few good Skimmers. Both these matches are now stored in the lesson learnt bank for 2013 – when no doubt new lessons will be forthcoming. The team did reasonably well with me finishing in the top ten individuals.
 
In between the VWL I guested in the Landsend Individual League. It worked out well for me as I love fishing Walters Lake (Third Lake) and fortunately I am about the only one who does, so there was always a spare place for me. This Lake is Snow White - the fairest of them all. Weights are consistent with many in the 40lb bracket – no thrashing for colossal weights here.
 
During the winter on Thursdays I fished my second Bathampton Silvers Championship, fished between Bridge and Withy Pools. The league was a sell out, well organised and very enjoyable to fish with some decent weights. An example was the day I broke the ice (well Harry Muir did) on Bridge pool and still caught 17lb of Skimmers. The overall league was tightly contended between Dave Wride and me, with Dave coming out on top by weight count back – helped by super weight of 54lb from peg 49. The 2012 league is starting again soon so looking forward to taking on Dave again.
 
I started to visit Acorn Fishery where there has been a growing match scene. I must say I enjoyed fishing the venue as it suits much my style of fishing. Made more enjoyable by beating matey Glenn Bailey a few times, to his despair, it’s not good getting regularly beaten by a pensioner! I am looking forward to another spell there this year, which kicks off early spring with the KP series.
 
Throughout the summer I spent a lot of time fishing the Viaduct and had some really memorable days – catching my biggest overall and Silvers weights. I had a great week in June staying in one of the fisheries new Lodges with Glenn, Mark and Martyn. We have booked it again for 2013 (June 15th).
 
It was about late summer when unsurprisingly saw the demise of Carps AC. It was a real shame, but it goes to show you can’t run an Angling club like a business.
 
It was on to the Viaduct Silvers League where we had gathered all the top South West Silvers anglers. For me it was very enjoyable picking up in four of the six matches. The day on peg 101 will stay fondly with me for ever. I found myself fishing next to Tony Rixon (three times during the league) who was on peg 100. Tony won the match with 48lb and surprising myself and Tony I was just behind with 46lb – Oh, if only I didn’t lend him some of my GB. The series was a big success with Tim Pallant winning the league – rightfully me thinks.
 
Throughout the year I fished the Thursday BAA Over 55’s and Disabled (Coffin Dodgers). It’s great to be on the bank with some of fishing legends. The matches are growing in numbers and strength under the leadership of Mike Jones. I think Bridge pool has provided the most consistent sport with the Silvers showing more now that the Carp has been “thinned out”. However, Withy Pool has shown some decline and requires more small silver fish (4oz). The venue on the whole has been well managed by the club which is obvious by the amount swim clearing that is done.
 
Two matches of note for 2012 both on Landsend Match Lake. Both times I was adjacent to peg 19 and both times battered from it. The first time I drew peg 18 and An-Ton was on 19 who slapped away all match for a weight of 279lb. The second time Tony Rixon was also slapping and sorry “Stalking” as he calls it whilst I was on peg 21. Tony broke the fishery record this day with a monster 351lb. The difference between the two anglers was easy to determine - Tony was exhausted!
 
This year saw the South West legend – Colin Golding more or less retire form match angling. We will miss the whole character who has brightened up our day on many occasions.
 
Darren Gillman sent me the picture opposite as a joke (me on end peg – ha,ha). However, joking a side this I found thought provoking and something I would like to try.
 
This year I fished less matches mainly due to Carps AC no longer running Wednesday matches. Although Avon Angling run matches mid week they tend to be more afternoon matches starting at midday, which is times I’m not keen on as I get up at the same time but get home after eight at night. Also my arthritis has had an impacted my fishing this year and of course the bloody wet weather.
 
It was nice to increase my strike rate this year – helped by some good draws and applying some learning from 2011.
 
The cost of matches has stayed about the same, however, the cost of travel is increasing which has reflected in the reduced number of venues fished this year – I must get back to Hillview in 2013.
 
The fishing has improved catching more fish per match which is now averaging 51lb.
 
Match attendance has stayed about the same. It was good to see another junior showing through with Joe McMahon doing really well in the VSL. But we need to keep the conveyor belt filled otherwise the sport will surely die.
 
My best Silvers weight of 2012 was 58lb a mix of Skimmers and Tench taken from peg 115 at Viaduct a fishery which has provided consistent sport all year – thanks to Steve and Paul management.
 
It was good to see Des Shipp turning up at some of the local matches. Who very welcome as far as I am concerned. You can’t be the best without fishing against the best – watch, enquire, listen and learn.
 
Below is my match statistics for 2012;
 
  2012 2011 2010 2009
Total Number of Matches Fished 92 112 109 99
Total Number of Anglers fished the Matches 2,869 3,463 2,551 2,701
Average Number of Anglers per Match 31 31 23 27
Number of Different Fisheries Fished 10 16 22 19
Total Carp Weight 3,098lb 6oz 3,377lb 11oz 3,246lb 2oz 2,470lb 15oz
Total Silvers Weight 1,634lb 7oz 1,943lb 1,506lb 7oz 1,1601lb 3oz
Overall Weight 4,732lb 13oz 5,320lb 11oz 4,752lb 9oz 3,632lb 2oz
Highest Overall Weight 177lb 10oz 193lb 12oz 201lb 10oz 210lb 14oz
Highest Silvers Weight 58lb 11oz 54lb 44lb 10oz 44lb 7oz
Heaviest Carp  17lb 2oz 19lb 12oz 18lb 10oz 18lb 14oz
Average Weight per Match 51lb 7oz 47lb 8oz 43lb 9oz 36lb 11oz
Number of Times in top 6 Overall 48 58 54 43
Number of Times in top 3 Silvers 38 42 40 45
Number of Times won Both 4 4 6 6
Number of Pick-ups 62 68 67 59
Strike Rate 67% 61% 61% 60%
DNW 0 0 0 2
Blanks 0 1 1 1
Peg Fees £474 £645
Pools Entry £1,382 £1,730
Travel Costs £455 £550
Bait Costs £267 £257
Capital Expenditure (spread over 3 years £500/3)) £205 £167
 
 

No comments: