Thursday 5 July 2012

Thursday 05/07/2012 - Batchampton AA - Over 55's and Disabled - Bridge lake

I was good to be joined for breakfast again at ASDA by Bob Warren after his recent illness – nearly back to his good old self.

Believe it or not Mike Jones has changed the draw again! We are now using what looks like roulette chips, much better though than Ray Bazeley balls. The picture right shows the remainder of the draw queue – it’s where its the place where the match can be won or lost – John Wilde doesn’t look too happy with his peg, but he still managed a couple of double figure Carp from peg28!! I had already drawn and pulled peg 31. Hang on that’s the same peg number as yesterday’s match – luckily I am not superstitious!

Two years ago before the Carp demise I would have ran to the peg, but since then the pegs in the 30’s have been inconsistent with most of the fish preferring the deeper end in the teen pegs. For company I had Leicester likely lad Ray Bazeley on peg 30 and Dave Gillard on peg 32. You are always well entertained when in this sandwich.

I decided to have a steady day on the Silvers so set up the Ronnie rig for the caster, same rig as yesterday, including the hook length which later I would regret not changing. The usual 4x16 jolly was set up for the Skimmers to fish at 6 metres with either soft pellet or CW&C. Just in case set up a margin paste rig. On the whistle I fed a pot of a mixture of wet micro, CW and caster on the 6 metre line. However, I started on the top set with the Ronnie rig and from the off had a few small samples before the football team arrived, in fact I think it was the entire Premiership – catching 1oz Perch a chuck. I soon tired of this one and went out on the worm and lost a good Skimmer first put in, the evidence pointed to it being foul hooked. Next put in the same again – what’s going on? I then got pestered once again by tiny Perch, which I am sure Darren Gillman would have loved to have fished for – not me, although I kept topping up the swim, the Perch got to the bait first, in between I did have the odd Skimmer. So I picked up the Ronnie rig again but this time fished it two foot deep to avoid the “Ballers”. It wasn’t long before I was in to my first Common Carp on single caster. I stayed on this catching the odd big Skimmer, hybrid and Ronnie’s plus another Common Carp. That was until the last twenty minutes when I hooked a lump which after a long tussle broke my well worn hook length – should have changed it. I couldn’t be bothered to retie the hook so was resigned to see the match out on paste in the margin where I had been feeding small amounts of hard four. I was soon in to another Carp which seemed to take an age to land. I couldn’t help noticing that when I hooked it, I spooked another five Carp in my swim!! With now five minutes to go and another Carp on the hook, again spooking a margin shed full. It took me ten minutes after the match to net.

My four Carp weighed 33lb 6oz and my Silvers 17lb 12oz for a total of 51lb 2oz. That lost Carp cost me a high framing place but hey I picked up the same coin. This surprisingly put me second in the Silvers and fifth overall.

Today was the second consecutive dry day.

The match was won by Dave Bacon (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 83lb 6oz from peg 21. Dave caught most of his fish from both his left and right hand margins fishing pellet over pellet.

The Silver was won by Terry Bruton with 27lb of Skimmers from peg 10. Terry caught at 5metres using meat hook bait over meat.

Full Result:

1.      Dave Bacon 83-06-0 peg 21
2.      Bob Price 55-08-0 peg 24
3.      Martin Alexander 54-04-0 peg 18
4.      Paul Haines 53-02-0 peg 13
5.      Mike Nicholls 51-02-0 peg 31
6.      Chris Rolfe 37-04-0 peg 6 

Top Silvers: 

1.      Terry Bruton 27-0-0 peg 10
2.      Mike Nicholls 17-12-0 peg 31
3.      Andy Smith 14-12-0 peg 7

No comments: