Sunday 25 March 2012

Sunday 25/03/2012 - Brian Shanks "Rip Off" - Westerleigh - Old Lake

Woke early this morning – didn’t everyone? I wish we had a constant time throughout the year as it takes me an age to adjust. Bela and I choose to fish a local match today as the price of fuel is getting prohibitive for a double header weekend. Once again Bela and I arrived early at Westerleigh, but it gave me chance to re-familiarise myself with the permanent pegging. I do like this venue as it is a varied and mature fishery and you can fish reasonably short with all baits effective on their day.

In to the draw bucket and out comes peg 15 – a good peg especially as flyer peg 1 was left out (Brian was worried he wouldn’t draw it). Brain recommended that I fish half way to the island which was about 6 metres – happy days – and use light elastic - wrong!!

I set up a margin rig for 6mm expander hook bait, a new 4x12 “Stainey” and a 4x12 Jolly. Starting on the Jolly after feeding some micro through the kinder with 3mm expander on the hook I was soon into small Tench, F1’s, Ronnie’s and Skimmers. The swim went quite so I tried the Stainey to see if I could land my first fish on one. First put in I hooked a good Carp which took me all over the place with my “Soft Elastic” – tucked up again by Rip Off. The Common Carp finally “Platformed” me, costing me another of my new floats. So two floats down, two lost fish and still waiting to catch a fish on one - are they unlucky? I did land three on the Jolly and two down the RH margin – losing a foul hooker on the whistle. My Silvers weighed in at 15lb 2oz and my Carp 30lb for a total of 45lb 2oz for third overall.
As suspected Brian Shanks (pictured right with his Carp catch) won the match with 56lb 8oz from peg 9. Brain fished hair rig hard 6’s fished over loose fed hard 4’s.

Runner up was Bob Warren (lower pictured right with his Carp catch) with a similar catch with 50lb 12oz from peg 19. Bob caught ob soft pellet and paste.

The match result was quite close and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it with the wonderful spring weather contributing, plus the pint Brian bought for us at the New Inn on the way home thanks matey can’t wait for the next match on this venue.

Full Result:

1.      Brain Shanks 56-08-0 peg 9
2.      Bob Warren 50-12-0 peg 19
3.      Mike Nicholls 45-03-0 peg 15
4.      Ron Hardiman 37-02-0 peg 6
5.      Bela Bakos 28-0-0 peg 2
5.      Darren North 28-0-0 peg 11

1 comment:

Steve B said...

Seems like Bob the Blank has got his fishing mojo back!