Saturday 20 February 2010

Sunday 21/02/2010 - Landsend Individual League - Round Five

As it was the fifth match of the series it was time for a free draw, which would decide the order in which you fished the remaining four lakes along with the anglers you will be competing with. I think this is an excellent way of running such a series because you get to acquaint yourself with more of the anglers. I hope Clint Wojtyla is in my section again, complete with his sharp sense of humour. However, I am not sure about Liam the "Clock Spring" - does remind me of myself when I was his age, but I ran my "spring" down by running every where I went. Of course this meant I could draw peg 68 or even better again - but would I?

Well I drew peg 62 on John Walters Lake, not far off numerically from peg 68, but miles away fish wise. I didn't want to be in the middle pegs of this lake as the fish appear to be at either end. As the anglers arrived I was amazed to see that both Liam "the clock spring" on peg 68 and Clint arriving at peg 46 (pictured right). Then who turns up opposite me - Tim Ford (pictured lower right - what's the story about the gloves Tim?). The water looked very clear still, but perhaps not as bad as last week. I plumbed up with the same rig as I used last week only to find that I half the depth - around 3 foot. So I switched down to a 0.2 gram Sensas Jean Desque Eric for the Silvers at 11.5 metres. I also set up one black top and one yellow top 4x12 Jolly - one for the 11.5 metre line and pellet and the other for over just up the shelf at 13 metres. I fed both lines with a few grains of micro one line with maggot added and the other caster. I started on the 11.5 metre line with a single red maggot and had a 5lb Carp first put in. I then had two more small Carp during the first hour before the swim completely died. Over the next three hours I tried a number of options around open water swims - to no avail - not one indication and no Silvers at all! Everyone that I could see was struggling. For the last two hour I decided to fish up the shelf at 13 metres. It wasn't until the last hour that I caught another Carp and quickly followed this up with another two. However, the next one I hooked I lost and didn't have another bite. The six Carp weighed in at 28lb 14oz for fourth on the lake and a section win by default and a pick up of £30.

The match was one by Tony Rixon (pictured lower right) from peg 33 on Specimen Lake. My spy on the next peg 34 told me how Tony caught hid fish, I will check his blog to make sure he owns up to using corn over 3mm pellet!!

Full Result:

1. Tony Rixon 133-09-0 peg 33
2. Dale Housen 59-02-0 peg 16
3. Anton Page 53-05-0 peg 32
4. Vince Shipp 46-10-0 peg 86
5. Larry Burns 46-08-0 peg 21
6. Pete Noton 43-07-0 peg 55

Top Silvers:


1. Tom Thick 17-0-0 peg 22
2. Ken Rayner 13-08-0 peg 36

1 comment:

Tim Ford said...

I was expecting a cold start, that's why I had the gloves on before the start of the match! It took a while to register just how warm it was in the sun!