Sunday 25 January 2009

Sunday 25/01/2009 - Hillview Open

Back to son, Steve's, favourite venue. It is also high on my favourite list too. Keith Hill (pictured right in the kitchen) owns and runs the fishery with son Dave. Keith is Head Chef and serves up a good breakfast (but, will never make “Master Chef”). It was nice to meet up again with old stalwart Robin; complete with shotgun. Robin does the vermin kill before the match (Rats, Cormorants and other undesirables – no seagull’s squawking around this venue). I don't know why more Bristol Anglers don't fish this venue, as it's only a steady drive up the M5, which takes about 40 minutes.

I not only have fond memories of this venue because of the excellent fishing, but it’s the first commercial venue that I fished. I have learnt a lot from fishing here, particularly from the Midland anglers (Brummies). Some of the knowledge has come from discussion, but most from watching the likes of Neville Groves, Lee Richards, Tony Parker, Terry King, etc…These are excellent anglers – they know how to feed and present. I checked my records and the last time I fished the venue was 21/11/2006 and I weighed 138lb from 2nd Canal peg 60 on corn for first overall.

Today’s open match was advertised as a “Rover”. So Bela and I walked round the venue three times and decided on ten pegs that we would pick. However, due to the high turn out it was decided to have a straight draw. The high turn out was primarily due to the Warwickshire Avon being in flood.
I drew peg 52 on the first Canal (my swim is pictured right). Keith noted that Son Steve had drawn this swim many times in the past. Not one of the best draws on this Canal. you need to be middle to right. Bela drew peg 39 on Heron Lake. Neither of us drew any of the ten pegs we would had selected.

The water was extremely clear, so I set up one rig for “down the track” a 4 x 12 Jolly with 0.12 bottom and a Tubertini 808 hook. I fished red maggot over micro pellet and caught Ronnies straight away. I kept a few coming with one 1lb Skimmer by careful feeding. I switched to 4mm GOT pellet and caught a few small (4oz) Mirror Carp. I weighed 11lb 10oz for second in the section. The section was won with 18lb (four decent Carp). As always on this venue, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The match was won by Alan Higgs (pictured right) with 25lb 10oz from Heron Lake peg 27. Alan caught on waggler and maggot. Some years back Alan and I used to fish for the Hillview winter league team. Incidentally the winter league is still running. I was a member on the Avon Angling team that won the very first Hillview winter league.

My Travelling partner Bala Bacus (bottom pictured right with a 2lb Perch) was joint second with 21lb 4oz, again with mostly waggler caught carp with treble red maggot on the hook. The wind prevented him from feeding.

Hillview always produces a close match (one fish usually separating) – as it
was again today.

Full Result:

1. Alan Higgs 25-10-0 peg 27
2. Bela Bakos 21-04-0 peg 39
2. Dave Greg 21-04-0 peg 73
4. Mark Pincher 19-06-0 peg 80
5. Tom Gibbs 18-06-0 peg 48
6. Francis Poulter 16-08-0 peg 22

2 comments:

Bela's chick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bela's chick said...

Mike,

How could you get the name of your travelling partner wrong, especially as he is such a handsome chap! ...........it is Bela Bakos