Thursday 8 May 2008

Thursdays 08/05/08 Bathampton AA Over 55's and Disabled - Withy Pool

Before the match I had my usual stroll around the complex. The Roach on the main lake were spawning as were some very large Carp. On to Withy and the Carp were mustering in the margins along the pegs in the sixties. Next was Bridge where it was reasonably quite with some Roach spawning and some Carp gathering in peg 18.

I drew peg 26 which is usually a good silvers peg, so off to the peg with a spring in my stride. I set up the usual Skimmer, Roach and paste rig. I went for three balls of ground bait on the Skimmer line. I can’t think of anything worse than getting your balls stuck in your cup! This happened today. I had to swill in some water to loosen up. This partially defeated the object of getting the feed quickly to the bottom pass all the “widgers”. I made sure that the next two balls were tighter and smaller. I started on the caster and caught five decent skimmers and some Roach before the Carp moved in. I tried the Skimmer line but due to the wind it was difficult to present, especially as they were only 2-3 oz fish, so I gave it up. I persisted with the silvers, but they were far and few between (spawning?).
I finished with 11lb 12oz of Silvers for joint first with Bill Ferris and six Carp 49lb totalling 60lb 12oz for first overall and a pick up of £25.

As usual Roy Garland (pictured top right) was in attendance to add to his Saturday Bristol Evening Post Angling Page (well worth the read). Roy is not only a professional photographer he was also a professional Drummer, supporting many top named acts in his time.

It was nice to see Tom Coulston in the frame again with 57lb 6oz of Carp to 18lb! Tom was not the only one to land double figure Carp, John Bennett (pictured right) landed this double from peg 30.

Full Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 60-12-0 peg 26
2. Tom Coulston 57-06-0 peg 14
3. Pete Bryer 56-04-0 peg 15
4. Bob Price 53-11-0 peg 16
5. Colin Golding 53-04-0 peg 18 (I lost 18 Carp)
6. John Bradford 52-04-0 peg 11

Top Silvers:

1. Bill Ferris 11-12-0 peg 4
1. Mike Nicholls 11--12-0 peg 26
3. Bryan Sheppard 6-02-0 peg 7

No comments: