Friday 3 August 2018

Thursday 02/08/2018 - Harescombe Affordable Open - Match Lake

With the kids home from school it was an easy drive to and from today - back in the local by 16-45.

Into Andy's Cafe for breakfast which to be fair was good - except no butter for the toast. A quick look around the bring and buy tackle shop, then into the book shop where I picked up the book pictured opposite. I had the usual comments  "your going to need that today", etc... How true these comments were to be, I wish I hadn't left it in the car!

Geoff and I had a walk round the Match Lake and were subsequently hoping to draw on the far side. Back for the draw and out comes peg 3. Not very enamoured with this one wrong side wrong end, but a peg for winter. For company I had Roy "Jock" Liddell on peg 5. I like a shelf to pull the bait up and it's difficult on this peg because the margin is flat out to about 1 1/2 metres. However, there is some cover from rushes, sorry was some cover, as for some inexplicable reason I decided to chop some of it back looking for something that wasn't there. I set up two 4 x 10 Speedy's one with a 16 Tubertini 808 and the other a banded Drennan pre-tied. I like these hooks because they have a double twisseled line to the band which keeps the hair rig straight for much longer than a single piece of line. Bait table - corn, meat, pellet 4' and 6's. I started on the left side with corn and caught reasonably well for the first hour. I subsequently hooked a Skimmer which flew landing on the rushes and dropping through them which meant I had to go down the bank to get the rig back, which included some poking about with the landing net. The fishing subsequently became very hard. I tried the RH side with banded 6's over loose fed 4's but only got indications from small fish. I switched back to LH side changing to meat to try and catch some Skimmers, which I did for a while during which I had my usual one Barbel. I then hooked a better Barbel which went like hell snagging me on peg 2 - another walk then. I lost another two barbel in similar circumstances. I switched back to corn upping the corn feed only to make things worse finding I only managed to bring them up into fouling territory. I like five hours matches!


My Skimmers weighed 9 lb and my F1's and one small Carp 23 lb 7 oz for a last but two total of 32 lb 7 oz.

Whilst weighing in we had a visit from Paul Dicks whom we agreed hadn't met for some three years. Paul had been fishing the top Lake and now lives near the Gloucester Canal.

The match was won by Rob Turley (pictured right) with 82 lb 2 oz from peg 9. Rob caught on the method with banded pellet over micro pellet. Well done to him.

Result:

1. Rob Turley 82-02-0 peg 9
2. Brian Dix 66-0-0 peg 19
3. Terry Girdlestone 60-02-0 peg 11
4. Phil Auger 51-01-0 peg 15

Weigh Sheet:


No comments: