Sunday 20 March 2016

Sunday 20/03/2016 - Windmill Fishery Open - Match Lake

I had breakfast in Beefeater with matey Geoff Francis; the new young waiter appeared to be dead from the neck up!! The weather is holding dry however, the sacrifice being the freezing cold North-easterly winds dragging the temperatures right down.

Fishery manager Terry has started to repair the access road and is now a little better but does need further work.

An excellent turnout with 26 fishing. Into the draw box and out comes wooden disc with number 32 on it - excellent.


For company I had Joe Godfrey (Bela's angling apprentice) on peg 1 and Ryan Shipp on peg 30. In fact I could see another Shipp on the horizon, Dad Vince on peg 28.

The wind was blowing in at me and to the right which would make the presentation difficult. I set up a 4x18 Jolly for the Semi-hards at top-set plus two section which just about found the bottom of the inside shelf and an unseasonable paste rig for the RH margin. Gerry Welsh had most of his fish in the margin last week from this peg. I did have some corn in the bait bag if the margins around me started to produce on this bait.

I fed the margin with a mix of hard 4's and Micro. I followed that with micro on the Jolly line. Starting on the 4mm semi-hard pellet I had a quick response catching two Crucian's each not heavier than 4oz! I was getting a lot of bites from small Skimmers and expected a good day on them. The bites then changed from a steady tug under to easily missed snatch bites and then finicky bites not worth striking at then no bites at all. Mr Carp had arrived I was thinking, so gave them some more feed. I was soon playing a 8lb Carp which gave a good account. The Skimmers were back but not for long as I caught another Carp of 4lb. I then went for an age before I hooked the best fish of the day a 14lb Mirror which took me 20 minutes to get to the landing net using its weight to hug bottom. That,s how the match panned out catch a few Skimmers then a surprise Carp would arrive. From time to time most anglers were trying the margin to no avail - including me with the paste. 

In the meantime at half way through Ryan Shipp who had fished the pole up to then without much  to show for it decided to set the lead up whilst he packed up. Well in six casts Ryan landed six Carp on the straight lead down the islands shelf. Talking to Ryan after the match I was amazed that he had only plimsolls on his feet with no socks no wonder he was shivering.


I finished the match with six Carp with the smallest being about 1lb which togeather weighed 32lb 3oz with my Silvers weighing 4lb 14oz for joint first in the Silvers pool and my total weight of 37lb 1oz enough for a match win overall (my Carp catch pictured right). Another nice day at this fishery.

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 37-01-0 peg 32
  2. Martyn Rayett 35-03-0 peg 17
  3. Gerry Welsh 31-08-0 peg 25
  4. Ryan Shipp 28-09-0 peg 30
  5. Vince Shipp 26-11-0 peg 28
  6. Mark Summer 25-12-0 peg 16
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls + Andy Gard 4-14-0 peg 32/24
  2. John Barker 3-10-0 peg 5
Weigh Sheets:















1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well done Mike.