Monday 9 March 2015

Sunday 29/10/1978 - Angling Times South West Winter League - Division A - Lacock and Reybridge

It was the turn of our SWWL Division A to fish the Bristol Avon at Lacock with the match stretching from opposite Beanacre Dump to Reybridge. I always looked forward to fishing this stretch of the Avon as it suited the angling style instilled in me by Dad. Basically, very light stick float fishing for Roach, Dace and Chub with light feeding of caster and hemp. Maggot was a non starter because of the millions of minnows, impossible to blank here. However, some of the walks were horrendous, but I always kept the mind set that the further you walked the better the fishing.

The draw was in Lacock village at the Red Lion car park (it wasn’t even a consideration to ask the pub to open back then). Most anglers had a 250 metre walk just to reach the Lacock Bridge, some drove down leaving there kit over the fence and driving back, I couldn’t see the point of this. The shortest walks were about the same for the pegs in the Abbey fields.

I drew a peg down stream half way between Lacock Bridge and Beanacre Dump. So a fair walk which necessitated climbing a number of fences and obstacles suitable for a Grand National course, one obstacle in particular was over a water filled ravine with barbed wire each side. I was walking with Mike Jones who caught his brand new warders in the barbed wire, so wet feet for him, I didn’t laugh - much!!

Finally arriving at my peg which was on a straight between to bends with heavy weeding each end, which meant I couldn’t see or hear the next angler. Access to the swim was difficult as it was shear 12 foot drop from the peg to a plateau level with the water. However, by walking down stream I was able find a gentler slope. Not much time left to set up, so it was a 4BB stick float and a small caster feeder (maggot feeder with the holes enlarged) just in case. I was pleased with the swim because I had a long trot, but it shallowed towards the end dragging the float under. I messed around with the depth accordingly so I had a consistent three foot.

I started on the single caster over light feed down stream of caster and hemp and was soon catching small Dace, Roach, Gudgeon and Perch. Then for some reason the swim died. This was unusual for this to happen so early in the match because due to the nature of the swims the fished didn’t move off; basically you caught what was in the swim. I decided to try the small caster feeder down the peg and caught a small Chub. I then couldn’t get a bite, so I put a worm on the hook and the tip was twitching which I kept striking at thinking it was small nibbling Perch. I then decided to leave the worm until I got a proper bite (now think it might be a decent Eel).

And a proper bite I got and I was into a big fish which at first I thought was a Pike explaining the lack of small fish. After about ten minutes I managed to get the fish under the rod tip and away from the weed. I then saw it – a Barbel of about 6lb. The heart started to pound. It then dawned on me that I wouldn’t be able to get the fish in my little landing net. I then realised that a dog walker was up on the top of the bank watching so I asked him to see if he could borrow a bigger landing net off the next angler, the man and dog moved on not to see him again. Luckily I was level with the waters edge and after a bit of arm to arm combat I managed to bank it in the shallow water and was able to slide it straight into my keepnet. The feeling that followed was wonderful; if only it could be bottled it (it probably is theses days but comes in small plastic bags). I sat there for a while recovering expecting this fish to be the talk of the match.

As per usual on this venue the scales took a while to arrive at my peg, I explained to the scales men that I had a 6lb Barbel but didn’t expect them to dismiss it, this was because further down stream Johnny Raines had caught two Barbel one going 9lb 8oz (I always wondered to this day how they weighed it on 7lb scales – but suspect someone had a set of rusty old Sampson’s in their basket). My fish was further pushed out of the lime light because Brain Webb had also caught one weighing 6lb 7oz. This didn’t spoil the bouncy walk back to the results; it was another memorable day out fishing

I did sneak in 6th for another pay day plus our team – The Golden Carp won on the day pushing us up to third overall, "Our Col" was happy!

Steve Gosling won the match with 22lb 7oz of Chub from a bend at the top end of the Abbey Fields.

Thirty Six year later from time to time I hear some of those that fished the match still talk about Johnny's two Barbel.

Full Result: (Angling Press reports upper right)


  1. Steve Gosling 22-07-0
  2. Jonny Raines 18-08-0
  3. Brian Webb 12-11-08
  4. Steve Sharp 11-11-0
  5. Colin Dunn 8-05-08
  6. Mike Nicholls 7-01-0

1 comment:

Unknown said...

According to my limited diary weighed in 1lb 13oz of gudgeon and minnows. Deleted from my memory!