Monday 22 September 2014

Sunday 21/09/2014 - Ivy House Open - Match Lake

Another beautiful autumn day with temperature well above average, with that unique English nip in the air. This added to a pleasant drive to the fishery.

Two large breakfasts were devoured, me having passed my black pudding and tomatoes to Bela Bake-off.

Another good turnout with 28 fishing. There are more consistent Wonga pegs than others but to predict the winning peg is difficult, because the winner has come from a multitude of pegs. Second in the draw queue and out came peg 8 – happy with this, but always concerning when the section pegs are so spread out. Bake-off drew peg 45 which I didn’t fancy with so many pegs in around him.

The Lake was flat calm and with bright sunshine it was going to hard I thought especially for catching Skimmers. So the plan was to go out and out for the Ronnie’s and hopefully the odd Skimmer. So I set up a 4x14 jolly and the Ronnie rig both to be fished at 4 metres, the Jolly on the deck for Skimmers over GB laced with caster and dead maggot and the other up and down over loose fed caster.

I put the Ronnie rig in the margin to assess the depth and found 30 inches just a few inches out from the bank so ideal for Carp later in the match so set a combo rig of paste and a 4x12 jolly for a bunch of dead maggot up just in case.

I started by feeding two small balls of GB laced with caster and dead reds. I started over this with the Jolly and caught small Skimmers and Ronnie’s, but was dropping some so switched to the Ronnie rig where I stayed for most of the match loose feeding over the odd ball of cupped GB. I did have an accidental 4lb 6oz Common Carp on the Ronnie rig which is always interesting, trying to save my hook length. However, the fishing wasn’t easy with plenty of anglers struggling. The last hour was very hard so I did have a look in the margin with both margin rigs which produce not even an indication.

My Silvers weighed 12lb 15oz and with the accidental Carp 17lb 5oz. This put me in for second in the Silvers coin.

I don’t seem to be able to pin down the bigger Skimmers which are really needed to win the Silvers. It would be easy to be beaten by accidental Skimmers on this venue. So next time I intend to fish a additional longer line with micro and soft pellet.

The match was won by Steve Waters (pictured right with some of his better Carp) with a run away weight of 115lb 8oz from peg 31. Steve caught down to the peg 30 pallet using dead maggot fished over dead maggot. Steve fed about 3 pints throughout.

The Silvers was won by Joe Thompson (pictured lower right) with 20lb 8oz from peg 5. Joe initially caught a few long on soft pellet over micro and later coming short catching some better Skimmers on double corn over micro.

Full Result:

  1. Steve Waters 115-08-0 peg 31
  2. Paul Blake 77-04-0 peg 23
  3. Martyn Lenaghan 67-07-0 peg 21
  4. Jamie Compton 53-05-0 peg 27
  5. Chris Cottrell 46-10-0 peg 29
  6. Glen Picon 44-02-0 peg 34
Top Silvers:

  1. Joe Thompson 20-08-0 peg 5
  2. Mike Nicholls 12-15-0 peg 8
  3. Steve Chandler 11-5-0 peg 12
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: