Wednesday 17 February 2010

Wednesday 17/02/2010 - Carps AC - Bitterwell Lake

Yesterday I had my blog attacked once again from spammers/virus hackers. The “pond life” is using the comment facility to feed in viruses and spam. To identify them any comments that are preceded with or contain small squares – DON’T OPEN THEM OR PUBLISH THEM - DELETE THEM IMMEDIATELY – otherwise it might be a hard drive re-format!!

I watched Bristol Rovers on the box Monday night, I thought they played very well and deserved their 2 – 1 win.

I had some good news from son Mark; he passed his professional body exams yesterday and is now able to run an Architects’ Practice – sounds like he might be giving up his “back packing” profession after all!!

It was a good turn out for this popular local venue, this combined with it being half term the lake was full. I think throughout a match you can make a number of small mistakes, which don’t really affect the overall result. However, you can make one big mistake which can! The talk before the match was of the 20 to 30 lb of Skimmers caught on the weekend and in the Monday match. I drew peg 11 which is one before the big Oak tree. I was reasonably pleased with the draw as I have won off of it before with Skimmers. So with all this in my head and blurring all of my match sense I buggered my peg in the first thirty seconds by being over positive with the green micro feed pellet. I did not have a bite on the pellet and it wasn’t until I started another line did I catch a couple of Skimmers on caster over caster. But it was really slow. At half time I decided to set up a waggler to fish maggot for the Ronnie’s. This was really slow as well, with many missed bites from tiny Ronnetts. However, as it was fishing so badly I decided to stay with the wag and towards the end as the light was fading (last ten minutes) I started to catch well, but all too late. You really can’t take all of the rods that you might need for a match - that is unless you have a Caddy. Today, I found myself using a 13 ft Preston Carbon active waggler rod which was far too power full rod for Ronnie fishing, which again cost me some coin. After bumping a few fish, I broke 0.1 mm line on the strike! I had the perfect waggler rod for the job sat at home – an 11ft 6 in Diawa Canal rod. I weighed 5lb 5oz for fifth place and ounced out of the coin for the second time this year.

The match was won by venue regular Steve Dawson (pictured right with his exceptional catch on the day of Skimmers and Roach). Steve drew next to me on peg 12 (the other side of the Oak tree) and weighed 15lb 2oz to win both the overall and Silvers. Steve alternated between the pole and waggler, catching the Skimmers on the pole at 8 metres using pellet over pinkie/pellet and small Roach on the wag and mag. Steve certainly has the feeding sorted out on this venue. It was crucial today.

Full Result:

1. Steve Dawson 15-02-0 peg 12
2. Bob Price 9-14-0 peg 4
3. Martyn Rayett 9-02-0 peg 10
4. Leighton Palmer 5-11-0 peg 2
5. Mike Nicholls 5-5-0 peg 11
6. Bill Ferris 3-01-0 peg 6

Top Silvers:

1. Steve Dawson 15-02-0 peg 12
2. Martyn Rayett 9-02-0 peg 10

No comments: