Wednesday 16 December 2009

Wednesday 16/12/2009 - Queens Head Christmas Match - Boyd Valley Lake

The local pub match was in doubt after a number of the regulars cried off because of the weather (wimps), however it was the Carps AC Hardy men that save the day and picked up most of the spoils to boot.

The draw was held at the Avon Aquatics café and I must say I was impressed with the breakfast (too many at Shipham I think). It’s a pity the café not open earlier more often, particularly on a Sunday and Wednesday. I was told by the owner that they will open by request, worth knowing.
Dark, Damp, Cold (1 degree) and raining!!


A bit of confirmation news the Landlord (Martyn Rayet) and Landlady (Tanya) (pictured right – the Natch bottle isn’t balancing on Tanya’s head, it's on the top of the Christmas tree (Tanya can do most things but not this) apparently all the other fairies at the Queens head are too heavy for the Christmas tree) are to Marry Christmas Eve. I tried talking Tanya out of it, but her mind is made up – Martyn is a lucky beggar. That said I think they are very well suited and wish them all the best (pint of).

I also heard today that Colin Golding has donated a significant sum to the Amalgamation Fisheries for a new footpath around Tockenham Reservoir. Apparently it is to be named “Golding’s Way” – what would Dad George say?

I drew peg 2, not a bad draw I thought, and would suit my style of fishing. However, with no silvers pools today I had to catch everything that swims. On arriving at the fishery I was amazed how coloured the water was – bright red! Due to the heavy colour I thought the Ronnie’s might have a go, so the first rig I set up was my Ronnie rig. I also chose yo set up a “catch all” 4x16 Jolly at 7 metres. I potted in four balls of ground up expander pellet on the 7 metre line and started on the Ronnie rig and caster. I caught Ronnie’s to 12oz most of the day at various depths, the most productive being 12 inches off bottom. I did have a look on the GB line and caught 3 oz Skimmers every put in on 3mm soft pellet, however this was not as productive as the Ronnie line, where I stayed for the remainder of the five hour match. I weighed 25lb 14 oz of Ronnie’s for second overall and a pick up of £40 and a leg of Lamb (my favourite meat).

The match was won by Shaun Townsend from peg 3 with 30lb 5oz which comprised of 17lb of Carp (including a ten pounder) and 13lb of Roach. Shaun caught most of his fish on caster at dead depth. Shaun is my tip to replace Colin Golding he just needs to brush up on his pellet fishing and moaning!!

Full Result:

1. Shaun Townsend 30-05-0 peg 3
2. Mike Nicholls 25-14-0 peg 2
3. Martin Alexander 14-05-0 peg 9
4. Bill Ferris 13-14-0 peg 5
5. Bob Price 12-07-0 peg 1
6. Paulso 9-03-0 peg 10

1 comment:

Tim Ford said...

Mike I know what you mean about Shaun, he never stops moaning!