Friday 2 February 2018

Thursday 01/02/2018 - Coffin Dodgers Open - Plantation Fishery - Match Lake

Almost a year since I fished Plantation Match Lake last, so was really looking forward to fishing what I think is the best small fishery in the South West. The Roach and Skimmer fishing is second to none and is extremely popular with pleasure anglers, so lucky to be allowed to match fish it.

First stop the Bridge Inn with Geoff Francis for a cold breakfast, must have a word with the micro waver. Geoff eats so fast he needs for the food to be cold.

A good turn out with 20 booked in plus a waiting list. Tony Rixon and I re-pegged the match (so only peg 1 on permanent pegs) whilst Chris Rolfe collected the coin.

So what’s changed since my last visit – well nothing above water – below has - with the Roach having grown on and producing some Hybrids – great to see.

Into the Asda draw bag and out comes peg 13, which I think was perm peg 25. This put me on the far side with the wind off my back. For company I had Rich Coles and to my right the Gimp. The peg card stated I had an Island chuck but whoever pegged it out didn’t bother to look up as I found myself in another Parrot cage with line streaming with the wind – this could have been me! I could see feeding fish at about three quarters to the island which was well out of reach for the pole I would definitely have set up the waggler. So set up the pole at 11.5 metres the longest I was willing and able to fish today. To this I initially attached a 4x12 red top, which was near invisible so I changed to a yellow top to fish in some darker shadowed water, one area to my right at 1 o clock and the other to the left at 10 o clock. Lastly the Ronnie rig which has always proven to work well here. I fed the right side with wetted micro and the left with one big ball on GB laced with maggot and started loose feeding the Ronnie line with casters, which were spot on today thanks to Matt at Scott’s Tackle. I started over the micro line with 4mm expander but couldn’t see the float due to the light. So set up a black topped 4x12 which meant moving the swim a metre and re-feeding – bugger, some time lost, which on this venue can be detrimental. While I let this line settle I went far too early over the GB line with maggot. First fish a small Ronnie followed by a 3lb Bream. I tentatively re-fed but luckily the fish didn’t seem to mind this – no need to fish out the feed today. I then had a run of Skimmers, then a 4lb Carp. The swim subsequently came alive with Ronnie’s. The Carp Groupies having seemingly disappeared. I re-fed but adding some casters in the GB this time and went over the new micro line. I had a couple of quick hand size Skimmers and Hybrids, followed by tiny Ronnie’s. So re-fed the micro and tried the Ronnie rig. First try on single caster an 8oz Ronnie quickly followed by one 12oz. Unfortunately, I couldn’t keep them there and disappeared for a reason I can’t explain. Back out on the on the GB line and found the caster was getting shelled, slowing me down, so went back on the maggot and had another run of Skimmers before I foul hooked a Carp – again the Groupies buggered off. I spent the remainder of the match cycling around the three swims picking off the Ronnie’s and small Hybrids. The Ronnie rig did produce a very nice 2lb Perch, which I think might have been the source of the Ronnie’s not hanging around too long.
 
My Silvers weighed 27lb 13oz and my sole Carp 4lb 12oz for a total of 32lb 9oz for second Silvers and third overall. So mission accomplished.

I have fished this venue about thirty times and have only had one indifferent day and that was because the ice was so thick I couldn’t break it out more then 4 metres! A brilliants venue, we will be back.

The Match was won by Jason Radford (pictured right) with six Carp for 40lb 3oz from peg 20. Jason caught down his LH edge using “Bait for the People” supplied in packs with Giros to the unemployed by Jeremy Corbyn. Can’t have them getting bored.

The Silvers was won by Magician Dave Willmott (pictured right with his catch of mainly quality Roach and Perch) from peg 19. Dave caught at 8 metres using caster over loose fed caster.

Back to the pub with the usual suspects to end another great day.

Full Result:

  1. Jason Radford 40-03-0 peg 20
  2. Dave Willmott 37-12-0 peg 19
  3. Mike Nicholls 32-09-0 peg 13
  4. Tony Rixon 23-03-0 peg 17
  5. Andy Gard 22-10-0 peg 9
  6. Mike Jones 22-05-0 peg 6
Top Silvers:

  1. Dave Willmott 31-07-0 peg 19
  2. Mike Nicholls 27-13-0 peg 13
  3. Tony Rixon 23-03-0 peg 17
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: