Thursday 17 December 2015

Thursday 17/12/2015 - Harescombe Fishery - Cost Cutter - Match Lake

We spent a long weekend in Brighton visiting my Grandchildren before they went off to Germany to spend Christmas with their other Grandparents. I travel most of the way by Motorway and was left wondering how drivers of Land Rover Vogue’s enter and exit motorways as I only seen them in the outside lanes – perhaps they stay on the M25 going round in circles.

With a lay-off of nine days I was keen to get out fishing again. At 05:30 this morning the outside temperature was 13 degrees, amazing!

I arrived at Harescombe in plenty of time for a leisurely breakfast, as did many others for the pre-match banter. Wozzy Stuart Barnett arrived and the focus soon turned to taking the rise out of his float making escapades, Alan Oram did best with “Berni the Bolt” making reference to the large size of Wozzy’s float tips.

As Stuart Graham wasn’t fishing peg 29 was up for grabs which was happily drawn by Tony Rixon. I ended up on peg 24, not unhappy with this peg. For company I had Adrian Jeffery on peg 23.

I set up the usual two rigs – 4x14 Jolly and the 4x10 Yoof. I started on the Jolly at top-set plus two sections fishing 6mm meat hook bait over potted pellet at 1 o clock. It took a worrying while to get my first bite, a small F1. After a few missed bites the swim died. I had been loose feeding live red maggot at top-set plus one down wind at 11 o clock which was to be my banker. Unbelievably this produced bugger all. Time for rethink, I decided to get more pole out and fish down to the pallet of peg 25 with the Yoof with double maggot over potted maggot. I started to catch a few F1’s but couldn’t string more than two together. I put this down to the clarity of the water the fish were backing away from hooked fish. With the Jolly abandoned I opened up a top-set margin swim loose feeding maggot. Between the two swims I caught the odd F1, small Barbel and Chub. It was never manic.

I finished the match with a lowly 21lb 15oz for 6th overall.

The match was won from Stuarts peg 29 by Tony Rixon (pictured upper right with his catch) with 60lb 3oz. Tony caught on pellet…see his blog for details. An excellent weight on the day.

Full Result:

  1. Tony Rixon 60-03-0 peg 29
  2. Chris “Dobbin” Telling 37-05-0 peg 3
  3. Martin Hook 33-08-0 peg 7
  4. Roy Liddell 25-09-0 peg 13
  5. Alan Oram 24-09-0 peg 9
  6. Mike Nicholls 21-15-0 peg 24
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: