Monday 8 October 2018

Sunday 07/10/2018 - Viaduct Silvers League - Round One - Campbell, Carey and Lodge lakes

Because Bela was fishing the Stafford Moor Autumn festival he missed the first match so I travelled with Gordon Cannings. We stopped at Canards Well for breakfast, which I must say was enjoyable.

What a difference a day makes, first frost of the Autumn, with sunshine for most of the day with little to no wind. However, this would no doubt affect the fishing. Opposite to yesterday I gradually took lavers off instead of adding them. lovely and warm.

This league is as strong as it gets with no easy sections, so a good draw important. Into the draw bag and out comes peg 73 on Lodge Lake. Umm, right Lake, wrong peg I'm thinking. for company I had blogger Chris Fox on peg 74. Neither of us expected much.

I thought if the Roach fed and the Skimmers shied away I might have a chance against the rope pegs, ever the optimist. So first up was the Ronnie rig to fish short to the right towards the tree, a 4 x12 Winter to fish top-set plus three barrels out in front and a 4x10 Roob to fish caster under the brambles to my left. Whilst checking the shotting on this one a Perch took the bare hook. Promising?

I started by feeding a small amount of micro on the long line to fish 4mm expander over, but started on the Ronnie rig with caster over caster. After 15 minutes and no bites I knew I was going to struggle - bugger the Roach weren't feeding. So I dropped a single caster in under the brambles and had a 12 oz Perch first try. This was my only fish here as it wasn't long before the Carp arrived which I could see mopping up the caster. My last hope was the expander which I tried and stayed there for 15 minutes before catching a small hybrid, followed by a 1 lb Skimmer and few smaller ones. I had only been dripping in a few micros which was enough for the Carp to take a liking to. I foul hooked one - no lost hook. I decided to switch to DR's over GB, so opened another line and fed it quite heavy whilst I switch the Ronnie rig to single Pinkie which sort of worked until I foul hooked another Carp - no lost hook. Then again on a single Pinkie I thought I had foul hooked another Carp in the tail this time. I suddenly relised that it hadn't ripped the light elastic out so was thinking it must be a small one - but needed to check before pulling for a break. I was delighted to see the head of a decent Eel surface, only for the hook to pull - was it fouled hooked? Who knows. Spent the rest of the match feeding GB and catching next to nothing just the odd Skimmer and Ronnie.

I finished with a lowly 11 lb 6 oz only beating two in my section of seven, at least I wasn't last. I was certainly at the wrong end for the Silvers. Considering peg 73 is a noted Carp peg I was surprised to only lose one hook to one of the four Carp I hooked.

"Some say that he punched anglers in the soul, and that he’s confused by stairs. All I know is he’s The Trig.”

The match was by Craig Edmonds (pictured right) with 50 lb 3 oz from Carey peg 99. Craig initially caught on expander over micro and later went longer on DR's over GB laced with caster.

Result:

1. Craig Edmonds 50-03-0 peg 99
2. Dick Bull 38-03-0 peg 103
3. Ricky Mills 30-03-0 peg 85
4. Bob Gullick 30-01-0 peg 98

Weigh Sheets:




























No comments: