Monday 22 October 2018

Saturday 20/10/2018 - Todber Manor Pairs League - Round Two - Hillview, Ash and Homeground

I woke up one hour before the alarm and had look out the window to see fog, so I got up and left earlier. However, it was only patchy and arrived in plenty of time to stop in Subway for a cup of tea. Walking in the place it smelled of something I didn't recognised! I bought a cup of tea in a 2go cup and on first sip could taste the same horrid smell which was on the cup rim. Tea binned. Fast food at its worse.

My turn on Homeground with Martyn on Ash. I had a walk around before the draw and saw plenty of fish on pegs 70 to 73 on Ash. However, Homeground was very quiet. Pictured right of a beautiful autumn morning looking over Hillview.

In to the draw bucket and out came peg 85. Fished this lake five times now and drawn here three times now. However, this time I had plenty of room as the next peg was occupied by match organiser Mark Poppleton on end peg 82 and next to me was Liverpudlian Dave Hodgson on peg 86. Scott Puddy arrived on the "Boys Hole" peg 90 so that's the lake winner then!

There was sufficient fog to give cover to the fish which was essential as there was little to no wind. I hoped it would stay like it all day, but that was very wishful.

I had allsorts of baits but only put 4mm hard pellet, wetted micro, Sonubaits 4mm expander and paste on the bait table. If the paste didn't work immediately it would be a quick switch to meat. So one paste rig a 0.3 gram Stu Barnett fully shotted with number 11's and a 4x14 Winter Titan. Because the water level was down and a bit and clearish I wasn't going to bother with the margin - until a Carp came in feeding right at my feet. I started on the paste rig at top-set plus two barrels at 2 o'clock kindering some 4's and micro with the paste and had a bite on the drop which I missed. Out again and a 2 - 3 lb fish was in the net. For the next 1 hour and 45 minutes I had a fish nearly every put in (some missed bite or liners) I recond I had 70 lb in the net. The dreaded sun came out and instantly killed everyone's peg. I went long with the expander at 10 metres with the F1 rig and did catch a few more over micro and had a few Skimmers, which were not unwelcome. I had been feeding the paste line through the kinder pot which wasn't working. I had been watching the Carp in the margin feeding on and off so fed some maggot down the edge. I was expecting it to go straight over them, but not, it disappeared for about 15 minutes before returning for a munch. The penny dropped now the sun was blazing the fish were shying away from the feed. So I dumped fed the paste line with 50/50 micro and hard 4's and left it whilst I fished out the lonely 8 lb Carp from the margin. The dumping worked and after fishing it out and re-dumping I went long with the expander where I had also been dump feeding with micro. By switching between the two lines the fishing gradually got better and didn't want the match to end.

I finished with 129 lb for a section third and sixth overall. I was a bit critical of my feeding today with it taking so long to sort it out. I must say the fish are in excellent condition and look as if they have never been caught and growing fast. What a great venue.


My partner came last in section again with 62 lb 7 oz. It looks like we will have to leave winning the league to his son Joe and the Bristol Carp Slayer, who also today qualified for the Silver final with 24 lb.

The Lake and the match was won by Scott Puddy (pictured right) with 183 lb 8 oz from peg 90. Boys Hole or not you still have to catch them. So well done to a very good young angler - good sport. Scott caught on pellet both short and long. Scott also suffered for a while once the sun appeared. The Pensioner had him worried during the first hour!!

The weigh in was much quicker today with Jon providing four sets of scales.

Result:

1. Scott Puddy 183-08-0 peg 90
2. Jack Stamp 160-14-0 peg 75
3. Bob Gullick 151-04-0 peg 44
4. Martin Rayet 136-14-0 peg 80
5. Joe McMahon 131-08-0 peg 71
6. Mike Nicholls 129-0-0 peg 85

League:

Joint top is Steve Tucker and Gary O'Shea and Joe McMahon and Martin Rayet both on 9 points with Steve and Gary a head on weight.

Weigh Sheets:


No comments: